VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
South East Organiser
6,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hahah I know what you are thinking you filthy minded lot but no......arse is exit only!!

I have bought new plastics/cowling covers to go round the Steering rack. Now there 2 screws on the front.
So Im guess i have got take of the steering wheel to get to these, is this correct?? in MK4 by the way

D

·
Registered
62 Posts
I didnt remove the steering wheel if you tun it full lock left and right you can just get access to them.

I had to use a 90 degree screw driver to get to them.

·
Community Clown!
5,234 Posts
I didnt remove the steering wheel if you tun it full lock left and right you can just get access to them.

I had to use a 90 degree screw driver to get to them.
If that's true, it'd be handy as i'd like to do this too.. I have a few scratchmarks on mine and it bugs me so i'd prefer it nice and new.. But was dreading taking the wheel off to do it..

·
South East Organiser
6,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah shit....ill give it a go soon. ill let ya know how i get on. i bought new ones because mine are trashed

·
South East Organiser
6,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stealers? What they charge ya?
Yes dude from the stealers. my friend there charged me 52 quid for both parts inc the vat and foam for the bottom piece.
Apparently VW have modified the coating so its more scratch resistant and wearing......i did say apparently we shall see.

·
Super Moderator
3,628 Posts
I was thinking of replacing mine just the other day too, i'll be looking into getting this done

·
South East Organiser
6,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was thinking of replacing mine just the other day too, i'll be looking into getting this done
Was a fairly painless experience, i took off the steering wheel was only way really.
You will need a spline tool for the steering wheel bolt a m12 i think it is.

·
Super Moderator
3,628 Posts
Was a fairly painless experience, i took off the steering wheel was only way really.
You will need a spline tool for the steering wheel bolt a m12 i think it is.
Ive took the wheel off my last golf so have the tool, battery disconnected to stop airbags going off ?

·
South East Organiser
6,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ive took the wheel off my last golf so have the tool, battery disconnected to stop airbags going off ?
Yes man, i did just in case haha

·
Wheel Whore!
1,204 Posts
So disappointed with what the thread title described to the actual thread content.

·
Super Moderator
3,628 Posts
Doug... don't suppose you have a part number ?, my copy of ETKA is playing up again

·
Community Clown!
5,234 Posts
How did you take the airbag off?? I presume you have to do this to get access to the steering wheel bolt?

·
Super Moderator
3,628 Posts
Use a small flat head screwdriver on the rear of the steering wheel, if you turn the wheel 45 degrees left, you will see one hole, and 45 degrees right you will see the other, these just clip the air bag in place, just make sure battery is disconnected though !

·
Registered
435 Posts
Has anyone done this without taking off the wheels and has pics or can describe how to do it?

Pretty sure stevie wonder the serial killer was the previous owner of mine, no clue as to how somone can miss the lock that many times and stab the life out of the plastic trim!

·
South East Organiser
6,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wheel has to be removed. I tried without. Was just no way dud

Sent from my radioactive pizza box by sonic the hedgehog

·
South East Organiser
6,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Womble said:
Doug... don't suppose you have a part number ?, my copy of ETKA is playing up again
Did u get part nos dude. I got them at homr

Sent from my radioactive pizza box by sonic the hedgehog

1 - 19 of 19 Posts