VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning all,

So i have two very small very fresh stone chips in the center of my bonnet
firstly i'm wondering what i can do best to seal them so it doesn't get any worse or the lacquer starts to peel.

Secondly though i'm curious as to how people protect against them, besides the obvious bonnet bra?

Cheers

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately they have chipped not just dented
probably going for a respray but i know that as soon as i do i'll get another chip knowing my luck so don't know whether to hold off until i get some more. but then i don't know if the risk of rust is increasing the longer i leave thewm exposed, which is why i asked about sealing them somehow?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Color coded pens from halfords... dab it lightly in layers though, then make the lacquer slightly excessive to the bonnet layer. Sand it down flush to the surrounding lacquer layer and once scuffed up a bit you should be able to polish out leaving no trace.
Keep in mind you will need very fine grit paper and leaving time for paints and lacquer to set properly, should take a couple of days in total

·
Registered
869 Posts

Understandable, not having the confidence due to lack of experience on something makes you think you might fudge something up, I watched this guys steps in the video above and tried for myself. Was pretty impressed with the results and take your time, it'll turn out fine. If you know nothing of polishing, look that up also. I use foam pad, maguiers polish (literally a few dots) and keep wetting the surface area so the paint doesn't get too hot. It's easier when it's scuffed up to know when enough is enough because the scuffed up laqcuer will turn clear again and look smashing

Your call mate, I'm glad I tried it all out for myself

G

·
I have heard of a clear protective film you can wrap your bonnet in that is supposed to protect against the little stones not sure of larger boulders though

Cant be sure were i seen or read this but im sure a company that does car bodywraps could point you in the right direction, surely cheaper than a re-spray too.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have heard of a clear protective film you can wrap your bonnet in that is supposed to protect against the little stones not sure of larger boulders though

Cant be sure were i seen or read this but im sure a company that does car bodywraps could point you in the right direction, surely cheaper than a re-spray too.
Sounds good to me mate might have a search.

Thanks for the other replies will check out the links, don't own a polisher currently but have been meaning to get one once funds permit, but saying that doing the work myself will save me the money. do i need a spray gun for paint application and lacquer too?

·
Registered
869 Posts
For stone chips, no you will just need the chip repair kit that halfords do. It comes with primer, paint and lacquer pens with a really fine nib.
As for the above comment on clear film, Frost do it. It's a liquid wrap, for a bonnet you would definitely need a spray gun to apply.
Youtube - frost liquid wrap
It's literally rubber setting paint that you can peel off, great stuff, I have some in gunmetal grey. Though like I say, for a bonnet you would need a tub not a tin and a spray gun to apply

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.