VW Golf R32 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've been hibernating! Besides, the car had been running fine!

I sourced and fitted a pair of front Cupra R strut top mounts from TPS, last summer. The car has done about 10K miles since. The work was done at a trusted garage - I do not doubt the workmanship.

The front suspension was knocking and investigations pointed to the strut top mounts. On comparing with a pair of new ones, the old mounts were down to around 3/4th the size.

My mechanic hasn`t found any other worn bits in the front suspension. Replacing the mounts and bearings has put paid to the knocking.

My questions :
  • Is it normal for strut top mounts to wear this quick?
  • Should I/he be looking for any wear/abnormality elsewhere, eg rear suspension or any other load bearing bits that might be contributing to an early wear of the strut top mounts?

Thanks in advance

Abheesh

·
Sausage Fingers
3,704 Posts
I killed a set of cupra mounts in about 8,000 miles. Got the power flex black ones in now and seem to be ok

·
Registered
926 Posts
If you think about it logically, the Cupra R is a front wheel drive, 1.8l turbo engine (iirc), the mass of which weighs in at a lot less than the 3.2 V6. The strut top mounts are designed to carry the weight of the 1.8T lump & gearbox, not the V6 lump, transfer box and gearbox combination, therefore it could be argued that, (although they fit) they are not suitable and, not surprisingly, wear out more quickly.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you think about it logically, the Cupra R is a front wheel drive, 1.8l turbo engine (iirc), the mass of which weighs in at a lot less than the 3.2 V6. The strut top mounts are designed to carry the weight of the 1.8T lump & gearbox, not the V6 lump, transfer box and gearbox combination, therefore it could be argued that, (although they fit) they are not suitable and, not surprisingly, wear out more quickly.
...makes sense, when you put it that way..

·
South East Organiser
6,823 Posts
That said the original golf ones were probably never destined to hold up a V6 either....

Reactions: MUSHY 16V

·
Registered
206 Posts
I had the problem with the top mounts when i bought mine so replaced bearings and bushes with standard. Then after a couple of months the bushes were knocking again so after reading on here the powerflex ones last longer i decided to buy some of those. Fitted them and they were too big, and yes they were the correct ones. They fitted ok but were rubbing on the chassis when turning.
So i decided to try the cupra r top mounts as people said on here they are the same size but just made of a harder rubber so last longer. I still have a slight knocking....
But in theory the standard ones are apparently a softer rubber to the cupra r ones or so i read on here. This probably doesnt help at all but jus thought i would share!
I am still having problems.....

·
1,064 Posts
Aye I'm about the same stage after two year with the LCR top mounts
Will probably go for power flex ones this time

Don't think any of the standard OEM top mounts last that long
Though the LCR ones did last a lot longer than the standard mk4 ones

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had the problem with the top mounts when i bought mine so replaced bearings and bushes with standard. Then after a couple of months the bushes were knocking again so after reading on here the powerflex ones last longer i decided to buy some of those. Fitted them and they were too big, and yes they were the correct ones. They fitted ok but were rubbing on the chassis when turning.
So i decided to try the cupra r top mounts as people said on here they are the same size but just made of a harder rubber so last longer. I still have a slight knocking....
But in theory the standard ones are apparently a softer rubber to the cupra r ones or so i read on here. This probably doesnt help at all but jus thought i would share!
I am still having problems.....
...I`m still having the same issues after mounts, bearings and bushes were replaced recently. The knocking persists, but to a much lesser degree. I`ll keep you posted if I come across anything worthwhile.

·
5,492 Posts
Top mounts

about 7 or 8 years ago I had my car fitted with KW v3 stupid rock hard coil over suspension.
At the same time I had new top mounts and bearings etc fitted, makes sense to fit new parts with the coilovers.
All standard VW R32 oem parts.

7/8 years on, I'm still on the same top mounts, I've probably done 60,000miles on them (car has I think 115,000 miles now)

I live in a town where there's more speed humps then u can possibly imagine.
My local MOT centre says they fail more cars on suspension related problems than anything else, due to the town here being littered with an amazingly stupid amount of speed humps. which gives you an idea of how rediculous this place is.

I drive like a fricken nutter, so put lots of load into the suspension
I corner and carry lots and lots of load and really work the car in high speed high g corners

Given all the above, how is it so many of you guys eat Top mount bushes and stuff???

10,000 miles and u get the knocking again??

I've done 60,000+ and 7 or 8 years!

For what it's worth, my rear end has started to squeek recently, and I'm putting that down to the 7/8year old ECS rear tie arms that I fitted the same time as the KW v3's.

Maybe my mechanics were very competent and torque everything to spec well?

I don't know, I'm just saying I'm shocked to read so much in terms of problems people have been having, the OEM parts worked just fine for me. Surely it's not right for these sorts of parts to fail every 10,000miles or as often as you guys have been experiencing??

·
Registered
206 Posts
...I`m still having the same issues after mounts, bearings and bushes were replaced recently. The knocking persists, but to a much lesser degree. I`ll keep you posted if I come across anything worthwhile.
I'll try and keep updated too!
I'm thinking it might be my bearings that need replacing now as having the powerflex ones in they may of worn them out quicker being too big. To be honest I'm not sure just trying to figure it out!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts