1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Recently bought some new wheels for myself
however they are 5x114

I was planning on using wobble bolts to cure this but the bolt is too big for the wheel meaning I would need to drill the lug hole out slightly on the wheels to 16mm so the wobble bolts have enough room to move, which I don't fancy doing!

Now the bolt spec for our cars is M14x1.5 and the wheels I have are meant for M12!

I was wondering if I use a M14-M12 stud conversion kit then use regular M12x1.5 nuts if everything will fit okay?

In theory changing from M14 to M12 allows for 1mm of radial space which should be enough for 5x114 wheels

Has anyone done this or knows whether it would work or not?

Thanks and any help/advice is appreciated

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
You're dicing with danger there. You want to down spec the wheel studs on a 1500kg 155mph car?! Rather you than me
The safety side isn't an issue as I've seen people do it with 500bhp vehicles, I just wanted to know whether or not changing from M14 to M12 would give me a PCD of 5x114

Thanks for your reply though

·
Registered
747 Posts
The safety side isn't an issue as I've seen people do it with 500bhp vehicles, I just wanted to know whether or not changing from M14 to M12 would give me a PCD of 5x114

Thought you would need to get the blts further away from each other, the centre of the bolt will still be in the same place no matter what size bolt you use ? I don't know much about pcds either but just a thought mate

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
19,407 Posts
I just wanted to know whether or not changing from M14 to M12 would give me a PCD of 5x114

PCD is measured from the centre of the hole so changing from M14 to M12 has no impact on PCD.

I would say adaptors are the way to go if the offset allows.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[/size]
PCD is measured from the centre of the hole so changing from M14 to M12 has no impact on PCD.

I would say adaptors are the way to go if the offset allows.
This does make sense, and is what I thought but needed clarification

I think I'm going to bore the lug holes on my alloys out another 2mm which should allow me to use wobble bolts

Thanks for your replies guys

Mods can delete this thread

·
19,407 Posts
I am familiar with.wobble bolts and personally would never use them.

As I said earlier you can get adaptors as long as the wheel offset allows for their use.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure what wobble bolts are but if never use them wouldn't true them , you must be able to get adapters

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Offset will not allow for adapters

Wobble bolts are like normal bolts but the washer/seat can move 2.4mm either way, hub rings will insure everything runs true

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.