VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Supercharged, with all the trimmings. See Website.
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Several years ago I supercharged my MKV. At the time, the tuner wanted me to upgrade the exhaust from the Scorpion I had been running as it was too restrictive. I couldn’t afford it at the time so limped along until now.

I searched for large enough headers, but no one offered large diameter, long tube primaries. Everything I could find is built for NA or smaller charger setups.

I had these custom pieces made and coupled them up with a 3” Zinram valved resonated catback. At exactly 3500 rpm, the valve opens up and all hell breaks loose on your ear drums!

Nickel Bicycle part Metal Auto part Titanium

Automotive tire Road surface Gesture Grey Thigh

Silver Automotive exhaust Gas Metal Glass

Gas Plumbing valve Plumbing Plumbing fitting Auto part

Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system

Sound file:

Custom exhaust with Zinram

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are very, very nice . The question is what difference do they make compared with your scorpion ( noise excepted!)
That’s the million dollar question… I picked the car up and babied it home because between winter storage and no exhaust, I hadn’t driven it for several months.

That was 10 days ago. Since then I had Surgury and have been recovering from that and not driving. Starting to feel a bit better and as I ease back into it, will keep you posted on impressions.

I want to find a nearby Mustang AWD dyno, which was the type that was used to test the power after the SC project. At that time, we got 372whp. Good numbers, but short of the expectation. Will be interesting to see if this new change yields the expected or “calculated” 400whp that was expected back then.

Mainly, for now, I’m feeling better about it because before, every time I would drive it hard, I felt I was doing harm throwing all that boost into the system and not being able to get it back out properly. Pressure and heat that was not being properly managed. So I just didn’t drive it often or hard. Hope to be more confident in driving it in the future and ENJOY it more.

The car is a science project and I would like to get back to the “don’t worry - be happy” phase again.

Sent from my iPhone 13PM, using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Mk5 Golf R32 , black 3 door 2006
809 Posts
Thank you. Interesting analysis . If you are using more than just a few pounds of boost, then, as you say , scavenging the burnt gases becomes critical , so I am sure that when you get to the rollers, you will see gains . Might need some adjustment to fuelling as well though .

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. Interesting analysis . If you are using more than just a few pounds of boost, then, as you say , scavenging the burnt gases becomes critical , so I am sure that when you get to the rollers, you will see gains . Might need some adjustment to fuelling as well though .
Yes, agree. The race shop that did the exhaust thought the same.

Now I will show my ignorance. Is the fueling adjusted in the ECU coding or by the fuel rail? All of that tuning and tweaking was done by the tuner that built the kit and by United Motorsport who ran the dyno and wrote the tune. Both are located 12 hour drive away. Tuner is out of business and UM is far away. So I don’t know if that fueling can be adjusted by someone else, nearby. The O34 fuel rail is adjustable so I believe a knowledgeable person would do it there…

Sent from my iPhone 13PM, using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts