VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have seen these on Awesome gti's website and was just wondering if anyone knows if they are any good for the r32 they have 312mm disc's and are tuv approved and only £944 inc tax.

Attachments

·
3,137 Posts
I thought the r32 discs were 334mm

·
Registered
37 Posts
The Mk4 R32 disks are 334mm. Those brakes are for a V6 4Motion. They would fit, but no point really. yes you'd get 6 pots, but with smaller disks.

I need to change my front disks and pads soon so have been looking at upgraded disks & pads. Unfortunately there isn't much to choose from unless you want to spend a small fortune on them. i'd just stick witht the standard brakes as they are bigger than they need be anyway.

Ben

·
4,328 Posts
larger discs size means you can get a bigger caliper so larger pad touching surface when breaking.

You can get 12 pot ones as well :) in the 334 size :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
a Local company to me sells theese.
K-sport! Black or orange!
330mm 8 piston = £977
356mm 8 piston = £1200

380mm 12piston = £1800

·
4,328 Posts
why go down to the 312s tho - why not get either of these:

1 - 6 pot 330s
2 - 10 pot 330s
3 - 10 pot 340s
4 - 10 pot 350s
5 - 12 pot 350s

and you can get a rear disc conversion that uses the stock caliper for 330

thats the way i would go.

·
1,084 Posts
I'm no chassis engineer, but I have a good friend who is.... FWIW it's not all about brake pad/disc contact area. Speed is scrubbed more efficiently at the edge of the disc, hence more small pistons being better than fewer bigger pistons even if the surface area is equal. The piston should be as close to the edge of the disc as possible.

Ya cannae change the laws of physics captain.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Skee, whats the company called that makes those?

And do they have fitting guides for behind certain wheels?

·
3,137 Posts
Tokyo Dub said:
I'm no chassis engineer, but I have a good friend who is.... FWIW it's not all about brake pad/disc contact area. Speed is scrubbed more efficiently at the edge of the disc, hence more small pistons being better than fewer bigger pistons even if the surface area is equal. The piston should be as close to the edge of the disc as possible.

Ya cannae change the laws of physics captain.
aye a larger diameter disc means more leverage to slow it down so ideally you want the biggest discs possible with a big contact patch at the edge, just think about a motorbike disc setup as they don't have contact all the way to the hub, they only have a large diameter disc with a small contact area.

Dunno if that makes sense to anyone?

·
1,105 Posts
i asked about big brake kits before

one user replied with the following:

6 pots?

How big is your master cylinder in the R32?

Work out your current square mm area with the R32 pistons, and compare to the same calculation for the 6 pots. Unless you get the right set, you could find yourself having a very spongy pedal.

To work out area use the following

3.142x(radius piston1)x (radius piston 2) x 2

Then compare final figure to same calculation for the 6 pots. The more area you have with the 6 pots then the more fluid the master cylinder has to push to push the pistons the same distance, so it can cause very spongy pedal, whereas ideally you'd want larger discs and a similar surface area to your current calipers, to provide pedal feel and better stopping.
so it doesnt really matter how many pistons the brakes have, its the size of the area the pistons push on that matters. some 4 pots have a bigger piston size than six pots.

hafizur

·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I gave Awesome a call and found out that the kit was not for the R32 but they do a Tarox 330mm 6pod kit at £1,349 not including vat or a ten-pod 350mm kit at £1,799 not including vat. So you may as well get the ecs porka kit!

G

·
Hi,

i asked about big brake kits before

one user replied with the following:

Quote:
6 pots?

How big is your master cylinder in the R32?

Work out your current square mm area with the R32 pistons, and compare to the same calculation for the 6 pots. Unless you get the right set, you could find yourself having a very spongy pedal.

To work out area use the following

3.142x(radius piston1)x (radius piston 2) x 2

Then compare final figure to same calculation for the 6 pots. The more area you have with the 6 pots then the more fluid the master cylinder has to push to push the pistons the same distance, so it can cause very spongy pedal, whereas ideally you'd want larger discs and a similar surface area to your current calipers, to provide pedal feel and better stopping.
so it doesnt really matter how many pistons the brakes have, its the size of the area the pistons push on that matters. some 4 pots have a bigger piston size than six pots.

hafizur
The number of pistons a caliper has is more to do with even pressure distribution over the pad rather than overall area, you can also bias slightly more clamping pressure towards the trailing edge of the pad by using a slightly larger piston to combat pad 'taper'.

The calculation above should be :

the combined area of all pistons in the caliper, i.e. (pi*r(P1)^2) + (pi*r(P2)^2)....

If the caliper is a sliding caliper (as the standard R32 calipers are with pistons only on the inner side of the caliper) multiply the figure by 2 as the pistons have to move twice as far as opposed piston calipers.

It does take some careful consideration when designing a brake kit as you not only affect the pedal travel and pressure, but also the front to rear balance and the 'biting' time between the front and rear brakes.

Cheers

Neil

·
Registered
124 Posts
i looked at load of options over the last month or so, in the end settled on the 6 pot porsche setup from awesome.

Peddle is a little softer due to the above reasons but the performance is awesome "no pun intended!"

The K sport kit i also considered but was messed around on delivery and the time quoted.

Hope this helps

Lee

·
286 Posts
Neil, you really do have an unhealthy obsesion with brakes don't you? Do you think about them during the night??? Do you???

G

·
Neil, you really do have an unhealthy obsesion with brakes don't you? Do you think about them during the night??? Do you???
I think I should stand up and say "Hi, my name's Neil and I'm a Brakeaholic" :nurse:

In truth, I've designed and built quite a few custom brake kits and had been disappointed with some aspects of other manufacturers kits that I've used or installed in the past so wanted to learn as much as I could about them before designing my own.... but you're right, I think I do have some issues, I even read a book on nuts, bolts and fasteners... :011:

Cheers

Neil

1 - 19 of 19 Posts