VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Morning, all. I'm going to England to hopefully pick up my new car on Saturday, so i thought it'd be best to check if there's anything obvious that i should look out for, both when i'm on my test drive and when i'm inspecting the vehicle.

The car is '08 with very low miles, 1 owner and a FVWSH so i'm hopeful that it will be problem free, but it's always better to be 100% sure.

Are there any usual spots where the car might show signs of rust?

Any technical things that i need to look out for?

Also, i'm aware that there's a major service scheduled for 40k miles - is this 40k miles or X years, or is it specifically 40k miles?

All help appreciated.

Tim

·
Registered
102 Posts
paint bubbling on front wheel arches.. put the heaters on full blast and make sure they dont mist up the car (when i picked up mine the heater matrix went in a couple of days)

40k is 40k - haldex oil change its only real big thing as far as im aware

·
Registered
533 Posts
Just check that what should have been done has in the book with the vw schedule. It should have if full VW SH. Also any knocks or creaks/rattles.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When should the Haldex service has been done? 40k service, isn't it?

This car is only at approx half of that, so i assume it's not required yet.

·
19,388 Posts
Gen 1 Haldex, as fitted to MK,4 is 20k oil and 40k filter although personally I would never change the oil and not the filter, so 20k.

Gen 2 Haldex, as fitted to MK5, is 40k oil with no schedule for filter but again I would never change oil and leave filter.

Do if the car has done 20k miles, it won't have been done, although obviously there is no issue in doing it more often.

Other things to check,
- Is it on longlife or Time & Distance service regime? With that sort of muleage it should be on T&D and have been serviced every 12 months.
- Check inner shoulders of front tyres for wear
- Check LED high level brake light works
- Check aircon works OK
- Plugs due a change at 4 years old, so should have been replaced last year.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Really appreciate it.

Aircon is in full working order.
Same for high level brake light.
Been serviced every year, and mileage verified at each service.

Will definitely check the inside of the tyres - if wearing, what's up?

Will also check if plugs changed, though this isn't a huge issue, surely? Can be sorted without much expense? Service history is all VW, so i'd hope that they've done what was required.

It's manual, not DSG.

·
19,388 Posts
As you say plugs is not a big issue, only mentioned for completeness. To be fair, even if they haven't been changed they'll be fine. It's just VW schedule is 40k / 4 years. Dealers get confused because other models are 60k / 6 years.

Inner shoulder wear on front tyres is a common trait of the R32 and the standard suspension geometry. Check both tyres on full lock, as it's the inner half inch that wears and can be easily missed.. Never used to bother me too much as I would still get over 20k out of a set of F1s.

One thing you'll quickly learn is that VW Dealers don't always do the right things:)

The car should also have had a brake fluid change in either 2010 or 2011. Can't remember when VW changed schedule for first one from 2 yrs to 3yrs.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers, Bob.

Will the break fluid change, plugs etc be recorded in the service book?

Or rather, should they have been recorded? I know, nobody can say for definite whether it will have been done.

I'll definitely closely inspect the tyres for wear, however i plan to lower the car and buy new wheels (in time), so i'll probably end up getting the geometry reset anyway.

·
Registered
533 Posts
brake fluid change is a check in the box yes.

As for inner shoulder wear it is something you expect. I believe something to do with when power is put down during 4wd or so I heard but don't quote me.

Before I got mine I got the garage to adjust the tracking slightly inwards from what I can remember then the fronts to the back an swapped an it has sorted it. ....... All about geometry.

Also check for any unnecessary recalls that may be needed and also if it hasn't got tax, try get 6 months from the stealers as it would help lol.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thankfully it's coming with 6 months tax. And you're damn right about it helping, given the price of the tax!

Still, it's only fair that i should pay almost £500 p/a. After all, those 3,000 miles that i do will be causing endless harm to the earth!

[/rant]

·
300 Posts
Listen for creaking on steering/lock to lock at low speed parking etc( top mounts )mine started creaking after a few weeks of ownership

1 - 14 of 14 Posts