VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having the R for over a month now i'm getting more used to it and i'm beginning to explore a bit more of what it can do, now i don't mean engine or power wise i'll get to that later, but i mean handling and dynamics. Now i previously had a Lupo on coilovers and didn't expect the R to be able to match but on initial impressions it's actually a lot better it feels more composed with just as much grip, which leads me to think that there's a lot more potential to be had from the car. However i feel a bit confused by the whole thing, because when i start to push it a bit more and explore the limit of the grip the ESP cuts in and throws my judgement. Now i guess what i want to know is what it's like with the ESP off, i mean i was sort of expecting it to slide fairly neutrally with quite a bit of the drive being shoved to the back wheels to keep it inline but i don't know whether that's a bit naive as the ESP cuts in and brakes wheels and cuts power. Now before i switch it off i guess what i want is the benefit of other peoples experiences, i mean i know that VW wouldn't release a car that was snappy or fairly savage as they tune in understeer for safety as it's the most easy thing to correct, i just wanted to know if this was definitely the case with the R? And really just how capable it is?

I don't know whether in my random mumblings that i've come to the conclusion that the ESP is a bit aggressive or whether i just don't like it. Don't get me wrong from an everyday perspective i think it's great and every car should have it but as a keen driver i'm not sure i'm a big fan as i've already learnt that if you want to pull away quickly you need to turn it off.

Ideas and opinions welcome :)

·
324 Posts
I try and remember to always turn off the esp whenever i get in the car as its way too controlling and too intrusive for me.

With it off its easily possible to get the back end to swing right out and stay there as long as the conditions(wetter the better)/road/gear/corner allows with plenty of scope for opposite lock to keep it there. I must admit my tyres are virtually on the wear indicators so this helps considerably, but I can't wait to get a Haldex Blue controller fitted as it will transfer more ooomph to the rear wheels and make even long sweeping corners allow you to enjoy even more the cars capabilities. I reckon the esp controls the car way too much as i think the car can handle plenty more input before reaching its limits.

·
2,808 Posts
Im in a similar boat to you DB, Iv had my mk5 for about 4.5months now and Im just starting to get to know it now. I came from a lupo gti and the a civic type r, so moving into a 4wd, v6 beast is quite a dynamic change, and has required a completely different driving style. I bought my car already modded so Im not sure about yours but Im pretty much too scared to turn the esp off just yet. Mines got the blue haldex fitted and in the wet the back end will power-oversteer to the point of spinning, with the esp ON! It does kick in but its too late as momentum has kicked in. Pretty much nearly spun it in the dry with it off too. The one thing I have noticed tho when I do turn it off is that itl start to understeer before anything too lairy happens, again duno if this is just my car with its mods. The only time I really turn it off is when doing a hard standing start, or in the bone dry, when I know theres not many tight, 'fast out' corners. Hopefully I'll get the hang of the 4 wheel drift one day tho...!
Good to hear you enjoying your motor.

·
3,732 Posts
i agree that the esp can be controlling but its something with the roads i use that i leave on in the winter normally (its already got me out of trouble once on an accidental roundabout slide)

but in the summer the esp is always off, the tarmac is dry and sticky and the car can be driven like it was meant to be

·
64 Posts
i agree with VC, switch it off if the road is good, you'll never learn how far to push if you don't. in general though it does stop you having fun. i think it gets way too exited too quickly, specially flooring it in second, that really upsets mine. i've had my R a year now and if im goin on a drive ill turn it off coz im concentrating, if im on the daily plod to work i leave it on as im normally still sleeping till i arrive!

·
2,808 Posts
specially flooring it in second, that really upsets mine.
That does seem to be the killer gear, halfway round a roundabout, floor it and waaargh!

·
267 Posts
When i first had my car couldn't believe how the front end washed out on tight corners when accelarating hard , was told to turn off the esp and try it again ,

totally transformed the front end grip . Not to say i switch it off 100% of the time as for normal driving it stays on , but if i feel the need Esp comes off and gives me the confidence to floor it ....

take the car to your fav corner and try both ways , will give you instant feedback and build your confidence up .....

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Points taken on board! When i'm in the mood i'll switch it off the rest of the time i'll leave it on! Consensus is then that with it off it's not too terrible and is capable, fantastic thanks!

·
3,732 Posts
just dont fear it mate, the car will 9 times out of 10 drive better than the driver can youve just got to get the hang of learning its ways young jedi :D

still catches me out from time to time but i always finish grinning

·
1,084 Posts
Great posting guys, very informative. :top:

Have only turned my ESP off for launch control starts. Never noticed it actively robbing power, but there aren't so many corners in the roads over here, and no roundabouts. :bawling:

Will try with it off now (when g/f not in car!).

Cheers again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts