VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, after reading some posts on here about lowering and damaged sumps etc. I remembered reading something quite interesting in a certain popular VW magazine, bear in mind it is titled 'The Mass Debate.' I just love the lil' bit at the end lol. Here goes…….

Lowering- Right or Shite?
A controversial one this months readers, so here goes. Why is everyone obsessed with lowering? If Volkswagen wanted us to drive cars that crack sumps every few hundred miles it'd have designed them to run a couple of inches off the floor. It'd have engineered the suspension, engine and sub frame components to take the relentless punishment of speed bumps bigger than Jersey and pots holes larger than Guernsey into account. As a good friend of (a certain VW mag) keeps telling us, "VW didn't spend millions in R&D for some backstreet numpty to balls the car up with cheap, ill-fitting, often badly made springs and dampers". The question is, ladies and gents, does lowering actually make your car any better, or does it, in fact, just result in a bumpy, uncomfortable, almost undriveable car that arguably doesn't offer any more grip because it tramlines, bump steers and drives so nervously you'd think it was a paranoid schizophrenic? Fine for the billiard-smooth blacktop of your local race track, but bleedin' useless when it comes to attacking your favourite B-road. We're not saying that all lowering is bad, far from it. It's just that everyone seems to believe "lower is better". It's just not, and the sooner people realise the better. Compliance is the answer not the Chiropractor….

All comments are welcome of course.....:marchmellow:

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
i think, lowering using tosh springs isnt a good idea, however id hardly say that Bilstein, KW, H&R etc are "cheap, ill fitting and badly made"

Put it this way, if they didnt work why do they sell so many? :hello:

·
842 Posts
VW may spend millions in research and development...

...but they don't always get what's best...there's almost always a compromise on price on everything other than the exotic models

VW already use H&R on the R32 i believe but it'll never be the top of the range fully adjustable stuff...just the sporty stuff that will suit 'most' people

·
6,197 Posts
setup is a compromise for VW....comfort and everyday drivers....have to make 21 year old driver through to old grandma happy at driving a car so you have to custom the ride to your own tastes....the only way of doing this is lowering etc....if you live on a farm with a 6" rut down the middle of the track don't touch it....if you live near nice B roads or motorway etc lower the bugger......

·
777 Posts
I guess some people do it to get rid of the look of too much space above the tyres in the arches. Others do it because they think it improves the handling.

Each to their own I suppose, if you lower it you know its gonna ride harder and could bottom out more easily and damage stuff so you take that risk. Whether it improves handling etc.. who's to say. Guess thats pretty subjective. Unless someone has got a track/road test with side by side comparisons.

If someone does it and then moans about all the negative points like tyres rubbing in the arches or harsh ride they only have themself to blame!

·
324 Posts
Of course VW spent millions developing the car etc but as with all modifications, its sometimes about personalising something that was mass produced.

What would make a bigger difference is if the government spent a fairer proportion of road tax actually on our roads so that there aren't gaping holes and ruts. But hey, thats banging our heads against a brickwall, so you pay your money and take your choice and live with it :shot:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts