VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we awoke this morning to the whole house shaking, and the wardrobes in the bedroom sounding like they were going to explode.

Never experienced an earthquake before, The missus was scared but i found it a weird experience.

Anyway theres no damage i've seen on the house other than a fence panel been shook out.

Anyone else feel this ? And no jokes about the earth moving lol :xD

·
3,732 Posts
nothing down here. we had one a few years back early in the morning, we thought it was our central heating on the blink to begin with, strong enough to crack solid granite walls and open a few mine shafts...lasted about 20 seconds

was kinda cool but made you realise where your place is in the scheme of things

·
3,732 Posts
SKY NEWS:

The largest earthquake seen in 25 years shook England and Wales overnight.

It struck at 12.56am, triggering hundreds of calls to emergency services across the country over the next two hours.

Measuring 5.2 on the Richter Scale, its epicentre was recorded five miles east of Market Rasen, Lincolnshire, and 14 miles south-west of Grimsby.

Buildings were damaged and a man from Barnsley, South Yorkshire, was taken to hospital after a chimney collapsed and fell through his bedroom roof.

Within a few minutes, viewers were emailing Sky News Online to tell how their homes had been shaken and uploading their comments and pictures.

Dale Curristin, of Kingston upon Hull, said he felt the quake for about seven seconds.

"My DVD player flew off my television around 1 am," he said.

"I didn't have a clue what was happening."

Nikki Tarney, from Rochdale, said she experienced a "scary picture shaking rumble which seemed to last around 10 seconds getting stronger then suddenly stopping".

"No alarms were sounded but the whole neighbourhood all woke up together," she added.

Jon Almond said he was woken by the quake in Chorley, Lancashire.

"At approximately 1am, I was awoken from my sleep to feel the entire house shaking," he said.

"This lasted for approximately 10 seconds and was a very strange feeling and experience."

Viewer Sylvia Tidy-Harris, from Ellistown, Leicestershire, described the experience as a "real boneshaker".

She told Sky News: "It was like a big juggernaut was coming down the road. It was very loud and the whole house shook."

The quake was felt in places as far away as the coast of southern England, Scotland and Wales.

Even reporters in the Houses of Parliament were affected while a woman in Notting Hill, west London, said her radio shook on its shelf for several seconds.

The British Geological Survey said a second smaller earthquake was recorded at 2.46am. The nearby aftershock measured 1.8 on the Richter Scale.

Sky News correspondent Lisa Dowd said the tremor was similar to a substantial earthquake in 2002, which had the town of Dudley as its epicentre.

The British Geological Society said the quake was the largest since 1984 when a tremor measuring 5.4 hit north Wales.

Dr Roger Musson, of the BGS, said the epicentre was situated 15km below the Earth's surface.

"The full force of the tremor was not felt - there was 15km of rock between you and the epicentre," he said.

didnt wake up, i was shattered!

Posted by stuart from welwyn garden city
Report this commentI was woken in the middle of the night and i thought it was really bad wind, I'm only 1 and it sared me so muh it felt like a train going right passed your window but also wind in your house. My neighbour rang to make sure i was ok and i'm so plased as i though I was dreaming

Posted by Vicky Hollamby from near Boston Lincolnshire
Report this commentI was awoken at 12.57 with my house shaking. It sounded like my windows were going to shatter. I lay there and wondered what was going on. My dog was down stairs in his cage and he was going mad with it all and barking. I called my partner and said the weirdest thing has just happened. I was explaining to him what had happened when my daughter came running down the stairs in a state, she too had felt it all. Now i know i was not dreaming. I turned on the radio and true enough we had had an earthquake. unbeliveable. I seemed to be the only one on my street with lights on, so assume i was the only one who felt it. There you go, strange things happen when your sleeping.

Posted by Carol Dalton from Milton keynes

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
5,616 Posts
Felt nothing here in Kent :(

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
1,149 Posts
Nothing here either, when we had one a couple of years ago it sounded like a fleet of artic lorry's charging dow the road!

·
3,392 Posts
Woke me and the girlfriend up. Felt like a big lorry was driving through the house but nothing broke or fell over, just alot of good vibrations............lol

·
Registered
222 Posts
:tongue: My chair blew away this weekend,,,, a bit blowy here in Sweden;) thats all we will ever get, windy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts