VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys travelling down to Poole to see my Dad, wondered of there was anything to do and see around that neck of the woods.

Thinking I might do Portsmouth for HMS Victory, Mary Rose etc. Dont mind doing some miles, I own an R32

Thought I could detour to Maidenhead to see Brunels Sounding Bridge or baz over to Stone Henge.

In short, any activities or landmarks welcomed.

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts
Portsmouth... ffs, I suppose if you want to see a division 4 (is it now?) football club you could go to pompey. Or you could come Southampton way see a real football club and then pop over the Hampshire/Wiltshire border to see Stonehenge

Reactions: inactive

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha, don't shoot me for saying this but I only watch big tournament Internationals.

I would like to see some ships in Portsmouth then move on.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Being from southampton i would say avoid portsmouth unless in an emergency but other than that i suppose you got gunwarf quays, few nice resturaunt along the shopping complex, southsea arcades on the front, used to go down there with mates when first passed, and hms victory as you said.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah everyone slates Portsmouth don't they, what about Soton? Bournemouth and Poole?

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts
It's only the football rivalry. If you're from Southampton you don't go to Portsmouth and vice versa

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts
If you like ships (particularly Naval History Ships) then you should be happy with Portsmouth. There's also forts set out at sea slightly that you used to be able to visit (not sure if you still can as I know Spitbank has been turned into a lux hotel)

If you want to take a look at cruise ships Southampton is the busiest cruise terminal in UK. Whenever there's ships in, Southampton gets busy (it's not my thing but I've picked my parents up from many cruises and there's always people coming down to take a look). When standing next to the ship its quite intimidating actually and some days they have 4 or 5 ships in at once.

Do you like History? If you do there's a lot to do in the South. Winchester is a nice city and used to be the Capital of England before London. Salisbury is nice and you could visit both whilst traveling West towards Stonehenge (I think Stonehenge is 10 miles north of Salisbury). I could list 100 things, it all depends what you're into mate, when you're going and if it's a day trip or longer. There's even the Jurassic coastline in Dorset which is quite nice but is quite a drive West. Lol @ JLD91

Reactions: inactive

·
533 Posts
Detour from pompey to Maidenhead, it's about an hour and a half

There's not a lot to do in Maidenhead at all but by the arches is a nicer area (boulters lock)
Maybe pop over to windsor (10 mins from maidenhead) and have a mooch about there.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers Boys! Appreciate that, I'm setting off Friday morn. Plan to spend at least one night in Poole seeing my Dad. Not back to work till Tuesday.

With my lady, she likes the sound of ye olde ships and Stonehenge. Love Brunels work and calculated Maidenhead not too massively of course.

Cheers so far!

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
P.s. that coast looks awesome, someone please tell me why it's April and below freezing FFS!

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts
I know, I have a picture of that coast line in my lounge as I used to go there as a kid. Quite a few music videos have been shot there:

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts

Reactions: SplitPersonality

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What's the name of that coastal area then?

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts
Dorset jurassic coastline

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts
Im a headchef in a hotel that also own Spitbank fort, No mans land and horse something or rather

Spent millions on spitbank, supposed to be amazing!

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts
Cool, think its like £8k to stay there or something...

·
1,066 Posts
There's an aircraft museum not too far away from Stonehenge and Thruxton race circuit is also in that general area if you fancy a blast in a supercar.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Right, we did Cambridge to Maidenhead (Taplow) had lunch by the river and did some echo action in the 'Sounding Arch'.

Then smashed it to Stonehenge, A303 has the makings of a seriously quick road at the right time. It was fecking dire in the approach to the monument, would have been quicker to walk the last 2 miles.

Then hit the A360 south to Bournemouth, fook me it was immense! Undulating, high speed bends... best few miles.

Tomorrow going to hit up the Jurrassic coast, just had some very nice steaks and a few bottles of wine.

I can confirm for sure, a standard mkIV R32 driven at reasonable speeds does not return 30mpg over 180+ miles.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts