VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi guys,

Said in my intro thread id be picking your brains! didn't think it would be this much though!

to update quickly on the previous thread. I've ordered powerflex ARB's and About to order cupra r top mounts. Having the HALDEX serviced and investigated too at vw.

Which brings me on to the issue. When under load in first I'd expect the car to bog down and grip. Instead the front wheels wheels spin more then my head does after a night out with the lads! the rears don't...

Surly this cant be right? I also noticed that on occasions that when booting it from a standing start ( after wheels stop spinning ) and when i change into second just after applying the power again it dies, loose's all power to what feels like a stall but then picks up... coil packs?

Being a newbie my knowledge of HALDEX systems and r32's is extremely limited. whats your thoughts peeps?

feeling extremely despondent at the moment, after working so hard for two years and being so careful with my checks on the car

thanks

Kev

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
Its Haldex not heldex

I would say your controller or pump is shot. Best way to find out is get it on VCDS which VW will do or someone local might have it.

As for your second problem i dont think its coilpacks. Does it misfire at all?

Also get VW to check to see if its had the coilpack recall.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oooops...corrected

vcds? what does that stand for? the car pops and bangs like a bi*ch but doesn't miss fire i think...its hard to hear.

What was the issue with the coil packs?

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts

Its VW's diagnostics system. Used to be called Vag-Com if youve ever hear of that?

You would feel it hesitating/missing if it was a coilpack. From what you describe it sounds like a fuelling issue but im no expert. Its easy to scare monger over the net, get it hooked up ASAP

They where prone to failure so VW recalled and replaced the faulty batch of coilpacks. Worth an ask, also there was a 6463 ECU update too that is worth checking.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was that update for the flat spot? I'll enquire about both.

The car is booked in on the 20th July. I expected a few issues with a 9 year old car but not quiet like this. with the n/s door too.

been quoted £450 to re hang the doors and spray the n/s one again, i'm convinced its a different colour despite people disagreeing. just worried the reflex silver will be a bugger to match

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
Yeah thats right. Between 2-3k. If your car is mapped already it need not apply.

Yeah true enough, maybe get it re aligned and see what you think.

I would say ask the painter if he thinks its a shade or 2 out but his answer will be biased!

Its not the matching i would be worried about, they can blend it to your paint anyhow.Is it a decent bodyshop? Stick up a photo

·
Eats Kitty Litter
7,307 Posts
I have several used haldex controllers and pre charge pumps if you need one. Shoot me a PM if you like and i will help you sort out whats wrong.

·
2,204 Posts
I've sprayed a few things with Reflex silver rattle cans from the dealer and got a spot on match.

As others have said, VCDS is essential for R32 maintenance and trouble shooting!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i guess little touch ups then there good... but a whole door lol Might buy one for a body shop to use to match to though.

I'll be sure to make sure the vw dealer uses VCDS, do you guys use main dealers or tuning company's ... pros and cons for both in my eyes.

·
2,204 Posts
Ah the touch up pens are pants, they never match!! I've done a tailgate lock and door handles etc with spray and got a great match!

God no, I wouldn't do a whole car panel with rattle cans!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lol i was taking the p**s mate, I wouldn't either but thats my problem. If its not a match when sprayed ill do my nut! where do you stop! be a full respray at this rate!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Took a video today, you can clearly hear the front wheels spinning, i only managed 1 st gear acceleration because i was holding the phone. I don't usually boot it this hard but wanted to get a good example of the wheels spinning. Also do you think is looks sluggish ? really underwhelmed by the performance at present. traction control is off, as i tried it both on and off. same result.

Cheers

http://s307.photobuc...c91796.mp4.html

·
2,204 Posts
They're not quick cars I'm afraid. Especially if you've come from something a bit spicy beforehand. On paper they seem quick. 0-60 in 6.4 and 150ish top speed, but where is this performance? Certainly doesn't feel that fast!

But before we slag it off too much, have you got any engine fault codes

·
1,066 Posts
I noticed a light lit up on the dash on your video. Im sure its related to ESP. Might that be part of the problem?

As others have said get it hooked up to VCDS

Alan

·
19,388 Posts
I noticed a light lit up on the dash on your video. Im sure its related to ESP. Might that be part of the problem?

As others have said get it hooked up to VCDS

Alan
ESP flashes on the dash when the ESP kicks in, so as the wheels are spinning, i would say it's normal. You just don't see it that often on the R32 as it rarely loses traction.3

Based on that video I would say the Haldex is not working

·
624 Posts
Dude, what you need to do is to stop doing starts where the front wheels spin and get down to it. Plug in VCDS and with just the ignition on through the computer you can start your pre charge pump; if it doesn't start to hum it is broken. If it works you can go further and engage the haldex clutch which basically means you will test the halde controller and it the valve in it open or not throught th stepper motor in the controller. Have the rear jacked up and feel if the rear wheels lock up. Report back!

·
Registered
124 Posts
mate I launched at about 1500 rpm, id expect it to maybe spin or bog down at about 4. And to be honest i dont expect the fronts to spin at all its a 4x4. and if you notice the wheels didnt spin until about 4500-5000rpm. Its booked in on the 20th im just trying to understand why its doing it, if anyone else has had these issues and the cause's.

·
624 Posts
Yes, it is a 4x4.
Stock controller diverts power to the rear after ecu detects 15 degrees of spin at the front wheels, that's about 4/100ths of a revolution locked 50/50 front/rear in about 1/4 of a second. So if everything is like it should you should not experience any wheel spin...I am just pointing at what to check if you want to look at this yourself for free. If you've got it booked, good. But they are gonna charge you for it.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts