VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying my hardest to contribute to this site, but system problems are making it just too difficult.

I log on, then click new thread, but if I spend more than 10 minutes (approx) writing the new post, my logon seems to time out in the background and when I click "Submit new thread" I get a screen telling me I'm not logged on. I enter my logon details again and click the logon button, but then I just get a browser timeout. The post I just spent all that time writing is gone forever.

Also, quick reply does not work for me (browser timeout again).

If I edit a post and click submit I get a browser timeout there too. If I click "Go advanced" before making the edits, it works OK.

I am using MS Internet Explorer 7 (Build 7.0.6000.16512) on Windows Vista. My IE settings are all on their default values.

And yes, I know I should be using Firefox on Linux... :boring:

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing my problems?

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
2,548 Posts
Maybe if you're running a crap anti-virus prog such as McAfee or Norton it could be the reason?

Also, if you're writing a long post it's probably best to write it in another app such as MS Word and then copy/paste in. This is a better way to work with long posts anyway, regardless of current issues.

Hope that helps chap.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
davefish said:
Maybe if you're running a crap anti-virus prog such as McAfee or Norton it could be the reason?

Also, if you're writing a long post it's probably best to write it in another app such as MS Word and then copy/paste in. This is a better way to work with long posts anyway, regardless of current issues.

Hope that helps chap.
Cheers for the response. I'll have to remember to type posts out in notepad first...

I post to lots of other forums and don't seem to have any problems with my antivirus, which is the very latest business-grade version of Symantec.

I do have Netscape on this machine as well, so I'll give that a try and see if that works any better.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
interesting problems there antera. I have heard of a few people having problems with quick reply but not to the extent your having.

The server is relatively new, so still being setup really but most of it is all done and ready to go ¬_¬ ill have another look,

·
1,485 Posts
Quick reply does my head in...there's nothing quick about it. It just doesn't work.

To be fair I don't think this forum works particularly well compared to other forums I use. I don't find it particularly user friendly - especially the 'New posts' page. Is there really any need for it to open in a new page, and then again open a new page when a thread is clicked? Also, I personally don't see the need for each separate post to come up in the new posts. Most forums just have the updated thread come up.

Maybe it's just me being petty, but I think these are things that could be looked at.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
gotta say, that quick reply works fine for the majority. I have tried to find out what the problem is for users that are having problems but there is no inherent software problem to be seen.

The new posts page, was a request of the users and until now i didnt think anybody had a problem with it?

I for one, dont even use it I find it much easier just to browse each forum and read the thread that is highlighted as being new.

·
1,485 Posts
I myself requested a new post's button, it's an invaluable thing to have IMO. However I just have a few problems with how it works and is set up.

Each to their own I suppose :)

·
2,548 Posts
Wayne, one small bug is that in Firefox (may be other browsers as well), the edit post button doesn't actually confirm the edit has published. (the animated gif doesn't disapear). Only a minor thing. Oh, and the paging on members garges doesn't work in IE or FF on my machine.

Sort it out or we're all going to leave you slacker! ;-)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Wish I had read this, it's taken since October to post, as my first three attempts died on me. So resulted in reading the stuff instead. Now I'm flying.

·
.:R32OC Resident Pervert
7,935 Posts
I'm with Dave on this one (As it is a pain)

·
815 Posts
same here would be easier if you could search with fewer letters needed like said above.

Stu

·
2,548 Posts
Nice one! While you're on a roll. How about stopping massive pics from wrecking the forum by auto resizing them with Javascript if they exceed a width of 800px?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts