VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
2,665 Posts
Anyone follow the cycling. I'm in the process of selecting a fantasy team for the TDF.

Obviously Wiggins is out. Froome is the clear favourite but hes also more expensive. I've tried to get a bit more balance in the team and am pondering a punt with Contador. He didnt show up in a recent event but suspect he may turn it on for the tour.

My shortlist which uses my budget up is....

Contador 22
Porte 14
Rodriguez 18
Van de Broeck 10
Cavendish 18
+4 random cheap domestiques
100 pts total

Cadel Evens 16 / Tejay Van Garderen 14 were also tempting.
Froome 26

My main dilemna is leaving Froome out and him sweeping up lots of stage wins and the GC!

Help!

·
876 Posts
Froome, contador....50/50 I'm my opinion, contador is off the boil at the moment, but he knows what he's doing.
Other strong riders you've not mentioned,
Hesjedal
Valverde maybe a stage win
Nibali
Sagan for stage wins, don't rule out Evans, again for stage wins, general gc for me....
1 froome
2 hesjedal
3 contador
4 porte
5 Evans.

·
2,665 Posts
Cheers buddy!

Have a look here. You may want to enter! Be interested in considering alternative riders!
http://www.velogames.com/

I think it would be a struggle to pick all of those cost wise but a reasonable top 5 prediction.

Was also thinking if evryone else has froome and it doesnt work out then its a better winning strategy! ie a bit like wiggins dropping from the Giro.

See what you think!

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Gutted about Wiggins, dont know enough about Pro cycling to help with choices though.

On a side note, you guys ever suffered from knee pain? I had been smashing it recenntly on my road bike until last Sunday when my left knee gave up. Have stayed off it this week and it still doesnt feel right. Its killing me not riding, especially as I am winning out of my friends on Strava's June challenge.

·
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used to do quite a lot of sportive cycling events and have taken the bike to austria / france and so on. My bike hasnt moved much for the last year or so. I need to start geting out again.

Im no expert but have had overuse injuries such as hip flexors and so on. Any sort of highly repetitous activities can highlight weaknesses / imbalances.

Like 'look' states the next focus could be positioning. Id suggest making very minor single adjustments at a time. Have you got floating cleats? (ie they give a little). Its a pretty complicated game. Id probably look at how you ride. Id look at how your foot looks on the pedal....toe in / toe out / level....is it the same on both sides....and work up...(probably unscientific!)...or go and see a bike fitting expert.

Could just be you have a bad knee and cycling aggrevates it. Do you spin a high cadence or mash away in stiffer gears?

Im about 105 kg from years of weight training so am not the obvious hill climbing cyclist but still got out and did 100+ mile sportive events. Physios would just tell me to stretch bla bla when i had niggles...it used to get my lower back.

Anyone registered a TDF team on velogames?

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
As of the 16th (when I last rode) I had clocked 618km which had me in the top 10% of the 70k people taking part. Ive just checked and I've completely slipped away from this range having not cycled this week, sad times =( haha

Ive been hitting up plenty of webpages trying to identify the problem and to try work out how long I need to stop for repair. It is strange because I had this once before in 2008 but on the other knee. That time a week off fixed it, but this has proven worse. On the Sunday when the pain came on, I pushed through another 25 miles which looks to have been a mistake.

I have had the bike for years with no set-up changes, but I have been hitting the road a lot more this year than previous years. Including taking in Box Hill and the surrounding hills, this was a shock for my body as I live in Cambridge which is flat as a pancake. A friend and I covered 125 miles in 3 days, the aforementioned ride being just under 60 on the Surrey Hills.

So I am hoping it's overuse, I am a fair weather cyclist so go 5 months of the years doing no exercise at all. Have been looking mainly at the cleats (Look Keos 9 Degrees float). Saddle height seems spot on going by what I've read online in set up guides etc. Interesting enough I have been spinning my gears more this year, used to have a low cadence but my friend said it was too low a couple of months back when I started this season. My Strava average had been 124 miles per week until this happened and I started cycling in earnest this year at the end of April. Have covered circa 1000 miles in this time but only started using Strava after 300 of them. Perhaps a case of too much too soon?

The only other factor is my daily hack died and im now commuting on a brand new Bianchi hybrid, which is annoyinig as if I was still on my old faithful that would have been one less possible cause. More than half of those miles are probably on the Hybrid.

Thanks for your words boys!

·
876 Posts
I'd ditch the red cleats, for grey ones......with to much float you can push your foot out of alignment. Grey ones still give 4.5 float which is plenty, you can't get the set up that wrong to warrant 9 degree float.
It really is trail and error with a set up, I've spent the last 8 Years perfecting mine.
Like the paintwork on a DPB, you can get a perfect finish, it just takes time!!!

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Ha ha cheers guys, weird thing I noticed when riding home with the pain is that the pain decreased when in the drops and got worse sitting up.

Read somewhere to put the cleats back 2mm for this type of knee pain. Have also brought the saddle 2mm closer to the stem. Rode 8 miles after work, not sure 4/5 days has fixed anything.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Am due some new cleats, maybe should get the 4.5s?!

·
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lol..whats the alternatives...?

Ive got the Shimano Ultegra SL groupset and pedals...so bought the shimano cleats. :)

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
All about Look Keo mate, I'm a devoted Campy man so couldn't possibly entertain the idea of fishing gear on my Italian stallion

·
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Haha! Its like Fiat for cyclists :)

The japanese quality engineering is good for your knees :)

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Ha ha did wonder whilst giving it the biggun against Shimano if my recent complaint might be brought up

1 - 20 of 25 Posts