VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so being young and paying for two lots of insurance is becoming a nightmare so I'm going to be saying bye bye to my pickup. My problem is I have a motocross bike I want to be able to take places on occasion.

So just wondered if anyone has a tow bar fitted to an R32? and if you should really be towing with an R! (haldex etc)

I don't mind having to fabricate something myself, have seen a mk5 using one that hides behind the numberplate which would be ideal as i don't want an ugly tow bar hanging out the back bumper!

thanks in advance!

·
19,389 Posts
As far as I'm aware neither the MK4 R32 or MK5 R32 are homologated for towing and as such maximum towing weights are not defined.

Could be an issue with the law and insurance, if there was an accident.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I know the Mk5 isnt supposed to be used as a tow car , not sure about the 4.

·
Super Moderator
3,628 Posts
Both can't because of where the exhaust back box sits, would be up to you for making a tow bar (possibly removeable swan neck welded to a normal mk5 rear crash bar. No idea how legal that would be though

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes think thats the way id go about it, like in the previous link. Bit more research required i think!

need to find out reasons why they 'shouldn't' or why they are not used for towing, even small trailers..

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have a towbar for a MK5 R32, made locally, but for VW New Zealand - it's says VW NZ on the label. I assume VW AG would have been upset if the MK5 should NEVER be used for towing???

Anyway - I got it brand new for 17 pounds, shipped

You remove the rear bumper support, and the towbar fits into the back of the chassis and the bumper cover fits over the outside.

·
Registered
438 Posts
The owner's manual for the Mk4 says there is no rear towing point fitted because it can't be used for towing...

Stone

1 - 11 of 11 Posts