VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi people,
just got my r32 from scotland, had it checked top to buttom etc garage, hpi, mileage and all is ok.
drove it for a week over there with no issues. drove home last night from belfast and on overtaking a truck in the wet nearly lost control........ sad.gif

no major speed involved pulled out over took and pulled back in. the ass went very loose adn the tcs light( the yellow pic of the car with the wavey lines under it) to signify that some or all wheels have lost traction.

of coarse it was late so figured i hit a patch of water and thought nothing of it.

then going around a roundabout at a decent speed not tearing the ares out of it... the front left tyre seemed to totally slip as if it hit black ice... and nearly causing the car to spin out. so now i know there was something wrong.

remember i had one of these before and needles to say you can hit a wet/dry roundabout at a heavy speed without loosing traction....

oh and i put 4 new tyres on today and still happens.

so i can recreate the problem by speeding up and turning sharpish(not mad handbrake turn sharpish) and lightly pressing the brake. the car prac slides and the tcs light flashes.

im looking for help please, ever seen this before??

cheers

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi, wayne,
when it first happened to me it was pissing rain, so i assumed that was it, i have since been able to recreate the problem on fully dry conditions.

cheers

·
Registered
273 Posts
If you have needed new tyres then I guess your 1st incident was on almost balled tyres so lots of water and no tread = aqua time

Going to need 200 + miles I would say to scrub in a new set of tyres till they are providing you with full traction so see how they go.

Failing that sounds like you need a full geo setup done, a lot of the VX220 people use a place called "scared stiff"

cheers
Matt

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the new tyres were just to confirm that it was not the old ones.

the reason i know its not tyre related is its only right hand turns that produce this! not left...

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
that doesnt sound like tyres, sounds like atraction control prob, get it to a garage and get it vag-com checked

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i had it vag comed today by a buddy, no fault codes at all relation to anything bar a radio fault...

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mattcony said:
Thats an expensive test !! :eek:

cheers
matt
:) your telling me, but i was always told on a 4 motion to have similarly worn tyres on all 4 or it will handle like crap...

still dosent help with the problem.

balls..

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
colmcouni said:
:) your telling me, but i was always told on a 4 motion to have similarly worn tyres on all 4 or it will handle like crap...

still dosent help with the problem.

balls..
i cant see it being a traction control problem in itself as it wouldnt cause the car to go haywire. the only thing that pops into mine is VERY bad suspension setup, or tyre pressures...

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
its a stock setup, no mods at all, and only 21k on the clock. so not much chance of it being a suspension prob, it was suggested that it may be an ABS issue.

·
3,732 Posts
you shouldnt be suffering with this amount of loss of traction, tyre pressure will only play a small part

i would say you need to have the geo of the car checked

that and make sure its not previously been wrapped round a tree and not recorded

·
1,084 Posts
You can consistently recreate the problem on any corner?

My first thought was... diesel spill.

To confirm it's not a tyre problem, have you swapped wheels about?

J

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well its hard to recreate but i can, all i need is a big safe car park and i can do it safely. 4 brand new tyres so its defo not a tyre issue.

whats the "GEO" of the car? and re it being wraped around a tree, i have had that checked by a mechanic, it only has 20k on it. its only a baby... :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts