VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't shoot me guys, I know it's not an R32 but I thought some of you might want to read about my day.

Well, had a day off so thought I'd have a little fun with the car and get a couple of different dyno runs..

First, AmD Essex and then over to Surrey Rolling Road.

Not sure what happened at AmD but the 1st run didn't register, but 2/3/4 runs did and as expected with heat soak each run the figures fell. Would have been nice to see what happened on the 1st run?

Anyway, peak figures are 411.6bhp and 460.8lb/ft

Audi TTRS APR Stage 2 dyno run - YouTube

Then, via Bluewater I went over to see Charlie at SRR. No video this time, was too busy holding the bonnet for reasons I'll discuss in a moment. Peaks were 400.2bhp and 455lb/ft.

On the last graph the dipping line shows AFR, and from 5,000rpm you can see where fuel is being dumping into the engine, most likely cause is high intake temperatures. This is an issue that I'm going to raise with APR because it seems like this is a common problem with the v2.0 map. And looking at the AmD graph at the top, the dip in bhp coincides with the over-fuelling issue.

Overall I'm not overly fussed with the figures, I'm happy with the car and feel that it's quick enough. What I do want looked at is the issue of high intake temps and over-fuelling. Hopefully I won't just get fed the "you need an APR FMIC" line.

All comments welcome, no tuner slagging match though please!

Reactions: Anakin

·
Administrator
3,597 Posts
shame your at the other end of the country would have liked to join you.

·
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha, I know mate. It seems like I'm completely alone down in the SE corner! I did think about seeing if anyone (literally anyone) wanted to come along but then thought it's probably easier going alone as I was heading to 2 different tuners. 220 miles in 5.5 hours and 2 dyno runs (and a bit of shopping inbetween!) What a day!!

·
Administrator
3,597 Posts
I went to Uni in swansea, keep meaning to go back and visit and meet up with Ant. maybe that's a better bet for meeting up

·
5,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha, you could say that! I'm heading back up there around end Sept time hopefully.. But I'll be in the family bus rather than the TT.

We need another Bristol meet!

·
2,443 Posts
What a day chapman, Neil your welcome be nice to go for a spin with two ttrs now that will be fun! Impressive figures chapman after being in this beast I honestly think its more than 400 ponies!

·
2,204 Posts
Mattchaps said:
On the last graph the dipping line shows AFR, and from 5,000rpm you can see where fuel is being dumping into the engine, most likely cause is high intake temperatures.
And / or high EGTs, which is a standard VAG component protection strategy.

Mattchaps said:
What I do want looked at is the issue of high intake temps and over-fuelling. Hopefully I won't just get fed the "you need an APR FMIC" line.

All comments welcome, no tuner slagging match though please!
Maybe not an APR intercooler but it's clearly what the problem is. Obviously the map has increased the boost pressure and the stock intercoolers can't cope anymore. Seen it dozens of times of dozens of different boosted VAGs. VAG rarely over spec their intercoolers. Always spec'd to stock boost and no more. You won't get as much heatsoak outside over winter, but for consistent torque over the summer months, look into a better intercooler.

It's the most common mistake boosted VAG owners make. Increasing the boost pressure without increasing intercooler size and expecting consistent dyno pulls. I've seen a MK4 1.8T with a K04-01 turbo fitted heat up an uprated side mount IC from 20 deg C to 70 deg C by the top of 3rd gear, outside, from cold! People do seem to under estimate intercooler requirements.

Still welcoming comments?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts