VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Batman Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all. Had this happen twice now but not to me but when the missus had been driving.

So.... My tyres have a max psi of 49 so I thought I would check them and put 40 psi in them. They where all in there low 30's. after a few days the tyre deflation light has come on when the missus has been driving the car but the tyres seem ok. I have pumped them up twice now once on sat and the other a good 4-5 months ago Md again this happen after a few days. Naturally I think I may have a slow puncture in one of the tyres but how sensitive is the system as they seem quite well pumped up still.

Thanks as always.

·
19,404 Posts
Are you resetting the system when you blow the tyres up?

The system doesn't measure actual pressure but uses ABS sensors to detect the deflation through change of rolling resistance.

Once the pressure is correct the datum needs to be reset otherwise it's working off the pressure the last time it was reset.

Each time you put air in your tyres or take your wheels off you need to reset it by depressing the button in front of the gearstick until it beeps.

·
19,404 Posts
I should add in my experience the system will detect a pressure drop of around 5psi.

·
Batman Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks bob thinking about it I can't remember if I reset the pressure system after I topped up the air. I will give it a go next time and see what happens. Thanks bob.

·
Batman Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What are the ways that a tyre can loose pressure. I topped the tyre on tues night back to 40psi and when I arrived home tonight I can see that it looks low again. I've had a look at the tyre on full lock and rolled the car to have a look. U can't see anything abnormal ie a screw etc. I am completly baffled ????

·
19,404 Posts
Punctures are not always obvious. You need to take the wheel off and put it in a bath of water and see where the air is coming from. If there is nothing obvious on the tread it could be a cut, bad seal to the rim or even a faulty valve.

·
Batman Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers bob I'm taking it in to my local f1 autocenter tomorrow for 4 wheel alignment so il get them to have a look while I'm there. Thanks again bob can always count on you ????

·
19,404 Posts
That's the best thing to do. They, like all tyre places, will have a small bath for that very purpose. I just hope it's in an area that can be repaired and you don't need a new tyre.

Let us know how you get on tomorrow.

·
Batman Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just at the garage. Nothing major ???? just the tyre was leaking from the outside edge seal.

·
19,404 Posts
Just at the garage. Nothing major í ½í¸Š just the tyre was leaking from the outside edge seal.
That's good news and remember to reset the TPMS once the wheel is back on and set to the correct pressure.

Also don't trust the tyre fitter to set it to the right pressure, check it yourself shortly after

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Definitely don't trust F1 for anything, they're cow boys here in Cambridge. I trust one guy in my local, the only thing I let them do for me is tyres and I know he does a good job. Other than that, ive had nothing but ball ache from them.

·
Batman Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cuprabob said:
That's good news and remember to reset the TPMS once the wheel is back on and set to the correct pressure.

Also don't trust the tyre fitter to set it to the right pressure, check it yourself shortly after
Thanks bob I did go away and check the tyre pressure straight away. It was a little low for my liking so I just topped it up.

The car drives perfectly in a straight line now. It has made a huge difference, I had new wishbone bushes fitted around 8 weeks ago and never got in to do the tracking good job I went yesterday as it was very out and starting to ruin the tyres.

·
Batman Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SplitPersonality said:
Definitely don't trust F1 for anything, they're cow boys here in Cambridge. I trust one guy in my local, the only thing I let them do for me is tyres and I know he does a good job. Other than that, ive had nothing but ball ache from them.
Hmmmm there not to bad up my way. They always try sell you more than what you need etc, they gave me a price yesterday of £96 for tyre repair and 4 wheel alignment, I said no you can do one mate Nottingham alignment will do it for £55.
Oh ok sir we do a price match promise for that then. Haha. I watched every second of work they did so know everything's ok ????

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.