VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

i was wondering if you guys could help me, about 3 weeks ago i bought a MK5 R32 and didnt check the tyre pressures as i bought it from a garage, couple of days later i checked them and they were low and just put in 35psi. about a week later i was out of fuel from a full tank i did about 230 miles and 50miles of that was motorway driving. i thought this was poor but put it down to the new car honeymoon period. also a week into this i did the flapper mod. the car however drove great and handled amazingly, i could throw it into a roundabout at silly speeds (50mph,60mph) and no tyre screeching etc

After reading the forum for a bit i noticed the tyre pressures were wrong so filled up the tank for a 2nd time and put in 41ps all round. yesterday i was out of fuel at about 220miles. which 200 miles of it was driving like a pensioner but short journeys 2-3 miles twice a day etc sometimes 4 times a day.

So yesterday i filled up with v power this time and went for a spirited drive doing about 35 miles. now when i go into a roundabout fast say 40mph or accelerating round it the tyres are screeching and the car is loosing traction, but correcting itself.

Also reversed the flapper mod to see if it affected fuel consumption and seems to do doing a lot better, averaging 32mpg yesterday to the normal 27-28mpg

checked the tyre pressures this morning and their at about 38psi which prob is right after 2 ish weeks

now do you think that few psi could be the cause of the tyre screeching and reduced effectiveness off the handling or the very hot weather yesterday? was about 25 deg but felt really hot

(just to add i didnt have passengers in the back yesterday when the car was skidding but previously i was 4 up)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hmmmm.
Yes I think that few more psi would cause the screeching, because it's losing grip. Let me explain.

I think you need to think of your tires as, for e.g. a beanbag chair. Giving more psi will slightly lift the centre of the tire, thus there being less grip, giving the screeching. And at the same time, because of the lack of traction/ grip holding the car more to the ground, the car will float along, using less surface area of the tyre, giving better mpg.

And the little less psi, the amount it should be, gives the best of both worlds. The beanbag/ tyre will be more spread out on the road, thus giving more grip but a little less mpg than what it would be with higher pumped tyres because there is more surface area of the tyre touching the ground making the car work that little bit harder.

Hope this helps, in some way hahaa

·
742 Posts
This has been discussed before. As VW clearly state 2.8 bar/41 psi on a mkv,then I can't see how this can be wrong. They will have done the r&d on the car,and have decided this is the correct pressure. I run my car on the recommended pressure,always have,and have never had the pitiful fuel economy you have,or the handling issues you have. I'm assuming the tyres you have are quality brand,and 225x40x18?

·
19,404 Posts
I ran my MK5 for 5 years at around 41psi and never had any issues like what you describe.

·
Banned
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tom I totally get what your saying and thing the same. But this would obv go against what VW recommend the 41 psi. Tbh I would like to run 41psi without these issues. Today I have reduced to 38psi and the car feels great so far after about 40miles

TheJam running Goodyear F1 and Avon zv5 take it easy I only just got the car. Maybe you're not driving the Car hard enough.

Thanks cuprabob

Could it be that R32 is very sensitive with tyre pressures and possibly hot roads/weather

·
742 Posts
Tom I totally get what your saying and thing the same. But this would obv go against what VW recommend the 41 psi. Tbh I would like to run 41psi without these issues. Today I have reduced to 38psi and the car feels great so far after about 40miles

TheJam running Goodyear F1 and Avon zv5 take it easy I only just got the car. Maybe you're not driving the Car hard enough.

Thanks cuprabob

Could it be that R32 is very sensitive with tyre pressures and possibly hot roads/weather

·
742 Posts
Don't mean to come across awkward,just tried to clarify the issue. It's hard to know if I drive the car hard enough,I drive the car with a little mechanical sympathy I guess,but not like miss daisy,lol. Hope you get it sorted,though I think you may get premature tyre wear by under inflating the tyres. It's a heavy old beast after all!

·
618 Posts
Try getting a proper 4 wheel alignment.
I did this and fitted new Goodyear Eagle F1's and mpg improved by around 3mpg on my way to work.

·
2,204 Posts
Too many variables here to give any definitive answers / reasons, but I would say the screeching is a combination of tarmac texture / temperature and the tyres. Eagle F1s have soft sidewalls and erm, Avons, yeah......get them off as soon as possible. They are shite.

The recommended tyre pressure will almost certainly factor in characteristics of the factory fitted rubber. I know from bitter experience Eagle F1s don't tolerate too much pressure. They wear down in the middle. Go by what the tyre is telling you, not VW. If 38 psi works for the seat of your pants and the tyre, go with 38 psi.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Go by what the tyre is telling you, not VW.
^This.^
As mentioned, the VW recommendation was made with several factors in mind, none of them other than cabin occupancy have been made available to the end user. It's also worth pointing out that they were made 9 years ago (Mk5) and tyre technology has moved on since then.

I personally run 2.9bar (Goodyear Eagle F1 ASSY 2's) as I like the car to be quite 'darty' and this gives me what I want. It doesn't affect the ride quality and will help fuel economy a fraction too.

It's not been mentioned here but, tyre pressures are massively affected by the weather, in particular air pressure and air temperature. This can change dramatically day by day. I've just got back from holiday after 10 days. I set the tyres to 2.9bar the evening I left and when I checked them last night, there were at 3.0bar. It's been hot and settled which will equal high air pressure. So checking them every week should really be a minimum. Checking under similar conditions is also best. I check/ adjust mine in the evening, when it's dark giving them a good amount of time to cool down after the last usage of the car.
Get yourself a good digital tyre pressure gauge with a 0.5 psi resolution. You then have no excuse to have incorrectly inflated tyres.

Paul

·
Banned
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got a tyre gauge. I think it's basically me getting used in to the car because I've been running 38 psi for the last couple of days and it's been absolutely perfect. When you haven't had the car long. It's easy to make judgements on new inaccuracies and faults that don't exist. I think 40 psi is good but for the way I drive I think 38 suits me better.

Absolutely loving the R32. Just wish I man up more and drive it like it should be driven. Rather than try and save fuel. Still working out if it's financially viable or do I need a blue motion for daily (yawn)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.