VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I recently put on a set of wheels and decided to go for a different tyre size for the front and back but im a bit concerned now if this set up is causing damage to my haldex/rear differential. A friend of mine used a calculator and confirmed with me that it would be ok as he ran a similar set up when he had his R but i just want to be sure.

The specifications are as follows

205/40/18 - Fronts on an 18x8J wheel, ET39

215/40/18 - Rears on an 18X8J wheel, ET39

I wanted a bit more stretch on the front for the look but i am quite concerned this could cause problems, Also would it be best to simply run 205/40/18 all around? I understand the speedometer differences but im more concerned about the impact on the 4WD system.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
If it were me i'd run 205/40/18 all round, i like the equal strech look, plus peace of mind also

But if they are stock wheels id just run the 225 its ment to have, extra 20mm of rubber on the road each side! 40mm overall more contact with the road

Wez

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
The 205 has an 82mm sidewall

The 215 has an 86mm sidewall

I would always say run the same tyre size all the way round but people run tyres with a bigger RR difference than 4mm with no issues so I would say you will be fine

·
Registered
1,704 Posts

I would always say run the same tyre size all the way round but people run tyres with a bigger RR difference than 4mm with no issues so I would say you will be fine
Strange i would have thought people with R's would want more rubber in contact with the road! so like 8.5J or even 9J with wideest rubber for the rim? more grip?

Wez

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
R32_Wez said:
Strange i would have thought people with R's would want more rubber in contact with the road! so like 8.5J or even 9J with wideest rubber for the rim? more grip?

Wez
Yeah true, you can run any profile of tyre you wish, the OP is concerned about potential haldex issues where Rolling radius needs to be taken into consideration.

Not sure the OP requires as much rubber on the road as possible by the sounds of it :)

·
19,389 Posts

Plus the difference between a new tyre (8mm) and a worn legal tyre (1.6mm) is 6.4mm, so even adding another 4mm on top of that, I wouldn't expect an issue.

Reactions: Farhan and PaulW

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Yeah true, you can run any profile of tyre you wish, the OP is concerned about potential haldex issues where Rolling radius needs to be taken into consideration.

Not sure the OP requires as much rubber on the road as possible by the sounds of it :)
I had strech on the 1.8T but then again it wasnt 4WD.....

Had it on my R32 with the 3SDMs as you well know, i didn't have any issues, but i always worried when i hit a corner hard, that the bead on the tyre might let go, being stretched and all that!

Looks cool, but how practical is it on a 4WD car, well if driven hard!?

guess Op is doing it for the scene points then?

Do it Buddy!!! looks smart

Wez

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
R32_Wez said:
I had strech on the 1.8T but then again it wasnt 4WD.....

Had it on my R32 with the 3SDMs as you well know, i didn't have any issues, but i always worried when i hit a corner hard, that the bead on the tyre might let go, being stretched and all that!

Looks cool, but how practical is it on a 4WD car, well if driven hard!?

guess Op is doing it for the scene points then?

Do it Buddy!!! looks smart

Wez
Here's my stretch and resulting damage of newly laid gravel roads

Attachments

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
R32_Wez said:
See thats a perfect example of why stretch sucks on a practical!

Chipped to bits the rim of your wheels, refurb needed now ?!

Wez
Yeah, refurbed 8 weeks ago

·
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OUCH! (Photo of damaged wheel) thanks for confirming guys, TBH i prefer more tyre grip to the road but my friends have been pestering me no end to go for those tyre sizes which i did go for on recommendation for the whole "look". I will admit now on they look really smart as it has allowed the car to drop around 8mm on the front and 4mm on the rear, The stance on springs looks very smart and the ever so slight stretch on the front does make the wheels stand out that little bit more.

My main concern was about the vehicle components carrying extra strain but as long as im within tolerance im more than happy. I do drive the R as intended on a bit of open road but as i usually use it to commute to work im usually just rolling along and driving sensibly. I may invest in another set of lightweight wheels for the whole driving experience but this may be more towards next year when i plan a trip overseas.

Many thanks again

1 - 11 of 11 Posts