VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to undo the top mount nut and the shock is spinning when turning the nut with a ratchet. Why is this?

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
You need to hold the strut in place while undoing the nut

Air gun or try a ring spanner and an allan key

·
678 Posts

X2
Don't try and grip it with water pump pliers you'll only bugger ther rod

·
2,303 Posts
Yep you need an Allen key in there ideally

You can use some mole grips on the piston part of the shock to stop it moving then undo it but its best getting some Sean neck spammers and A decent Allen key set that you can use in a ratchet

If not you can use a spark plug socket, ring/ open end spanner and an Allen key to undo it

·
Registered
1,704 Posts

+1 for the Air Gun idea!

Best thing me and my dad ever bought, full compressor and airline system and kitted out the garage, now working on the cars is a dream

His even talking about converting the stable into a workshop with a full lift!

Wez

·
South East Organiser
6,824 Posts
Rattle gun is the way forward with top mounts. Waste of time with allen keys and spanners. 9 times out of 10 they just round off the strut.

Sent from my blower by crash bandicoot

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I can only dream of having a lift in my garage lol one day though along with a massive compressor
The old man is a car nut! so it helps it doesn't take much persuading and his gone and bought stuff lol!

Massive compressor and air line set up in the garage at the moment! all the air tools you would ever need too

The garage is heated, has loads of lights a couple of workbenches also, his just gone to town on it lol..............and im not going to complain about it lol

Wez

·
Registered
324 Posts
I can only dream of having a lift in my garage lol one day though along with a massive compressor
U want this in ur shed pal like mine

Workshop full of EVERYTHING

Reactions: TraceyBaby67

·
556 Posts
Here's a little tip with simple solution to undo top mount nuts..

You need a 14mm spark plug socket that has the hex flats.. A 22mm & 19mm spanner. 7mm Allen key.

So hold the strut with the Allen key using the 19mm spanner as a lever, now undo the nut with the socket using the 22mm spanner to turn the socket..
Simples... ????

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
556 Posts

·
2,204 Posts
That's a good price for a Makita. I've got a Sealey Cordless 1/2" impact driver. Gets wheel bolts and strut nuts off easily, but it wasn't cheap!! That mains powered one I posted has even more grunt and a bargain price.

·
1,243 Posts
I'm using the adjustable ones as they are 300quid a pair for the fronts with hr 20mm springs and I love it very stock ride. A few of the yanks on vortex are using the fsd shocks be worth a read over there.

·
556 Posts
Yeah those sets are dead handy.

Which Konis do you have? Was wondering if anyone's tried FSDs on standard springs?
The FSD's are an excellent kit, I've been in a few rides where these are fitted, they're perfect if your looking for that smooth stock ride in normal conditions, but soon as you wanna slam it round the twistys, the performance ride kicks in straight away! A good combo for these is to use the eibach springs...

·
2,204 Posts
Cheers for the feedback guys!

I find the standard spring rate and ride height to be spot on, for me at least. It's just the standard Bilsteins. They are way too aggressive imo, so the FSDs sound perfect then!

My only reservation with Koni is quality. I've had Koni yellows in the past on old dubs and they never lasted long for me and I'm not a lunatic driver. The fronts used to keep popping seals. The lifetime warranty certainly helps but it's just the faff of changing them. I've also read reports of the FSDs rusting too quickly. They seem to have a had painted gold hammerite finish on them? Have things improved in recent years?

·
556 Posts
Cheers for the feedback guys!

I find the standard spring rate and ride height to be spot on, for me at least. It's just the standard Bilsteins. They are way too aggressive imo, so the FSDs sound perfect then!

My only reservation with Koni is quality. I've had Koni yellows in the past on old dubs and they never lasted long for me and I'm not a lunatic driver. The fronts used to keep popping seals. The lifetime warranty certainly helps but it's just the faff of changing them. I've also read reports of the FSDs rusting too quickly. They seem to have a had painted gold hammerite finish on them? Have things improved in recent years?
To be fair mate, I think most suspension units end up with some form of decay... The underside & arches of any vehicle take the brunt of road grime. It's a good habit to pop the wheels off now n then & give those area's a little spruce up & maintenance... When I install any kit, I always make sure that everything is cleaned up, lubed & greased thoroughly!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts