VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys went to fit the Unibrace at the weekend and realised I didn't have any fixings

I can see mount points utilise some existing bolts but there isn't enough thread

Ive searched this quite a bit, there's reference to a fitting kit that can be bought from unibrace at $75 or whatever but is there anything I can get off fleabay or is it a custom fixing?!

I don't mind ordering from unibrace but i expect postage to take ages and the cost is gay for what ultimately is a few bolts

Any help would be appreciated

·
1,332 Posts
What you need is some M8 riv nuts from ebay with some counter sunk Allen key headed bolts and the riv nut tool

All can be found on ebay for a lot cheaper than $75

·
Registered
977 Posts
What you need is some M8 riv nuts from ebay with some counter sunk Allen key headed bolts and the riv nut tool

All can be found on ebay for a lot cheaper than $75
Mate your a ledge...

Dont suppose you know how many of each off the top of your head do you so I can order now? Not near the brace and can't remember.... no drama if not can check when I'm home

Just ordered 10 of each to be safe plus the tool.... Let's hope the thread length is OK

Cheers

·
1,332 Posts
Mate your a ledge...

Dont suppose you know how many of each off the top of your head do you so I can order now? Not near the brace and can't remember.... no drama if not can check when I'm home

Just ordered 10 of each to be safe plus the tool.... Let's hope the thread length is OK

Cheers
Only 4 of each needed , 30mm long should be ok pretty sure that's what I used anything over is fine

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only 4 of each needed , 30mm long should be ok pretty sure that's what I used anything over is fine
Yeah typical.... Remember the brace had 8 holes so wasn't sure

Luckily I'd ordered 30mm

Finally read a couple references to torque settings..... Are they required.....?! Read mixed reports

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anyone got a UB fitted who can remember what fixings then?! All the docs date back to 2008....

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was under the impression it used existing bolts, but searching the mk5gti site for RedRobin's review would be my first stop. They're usually pretty detailed...
I looked at several.... It uses the existing points for sure but the exposed bolts are both too short and thin

I found an old OC post from 2008 that mentions he had to weld onto the existing fixings.... Bit drastic

Unibrace sell an bolt/spacer kit which would solve the issue but its $75 for a few nuts and bolts.... assuming it's still available..... It's a 5 year old post!

From what I've gathered it's around the m8 size but can't get a straight 'you need these' answer.... surely I can get them off eBay.... I'll keep looking

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
I looked at several.... It uses the existing points for sure but the exposed bolts are both too short and thin

I found an old OC post from 2008 that mentions he had to weld onto the existing fixings.... Bit drastic

Unibrace sell an bolt/spacer kit which would solve the issue but its $75 for a few nuts and bolts.... assuming it's still available..... It's a 5 year old post!

From what I've gathered it's around the m8 size but can't get a straight 'you need these' answer.... surely I can get them off eBay.... I'll keep looking
I take it Unibrace don't tell you whats in the fixing kit so you could use it as a shopping list?

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I take it Unibrace don't tell you whats in the fixing kit so you could use it as a shopping list?
I've been into their website and got their .pdf it references both a deep bolt/spacer kit (as mentioned above at $75) but also references the orig VW hardware part no N 907 611 01 which I think is just for the shouldered hex bolts (which are currently on the car at the mo.... Asumming they're the same?!)

I appreciate unibrace being vague as they want sales is the kit but can't believe no one has had the same issue.... Evem my mechanic was blagged when I said it uses existing fixings

Wouldn't mind but this is supposed to be a quick mod lol

·
1,927 Posts
Did you look where I said? There's an installation video even. I'm pretty sure that the spacer kit is just for dropping the brace down below aftermarket exhausts and isn't required for OEM.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did you look where I said? There's an installation video even. I'm pretty sure that the spacer kit is just for dropping the brace down below aftermarket exhausts and isn't required for OEM.
I did mate thanks but it doesn't show what I need still lol

And yeah thought that about the spacer
Kit although thought it might have longer fittings

·
Registered
977 Posts
I don't get what's so difficult about it? You get under car, remove the 2 OEM cross braces and then use the same nuts to attach the UB.
Lol so goes the theory...wish I had taken a fkin photo lol

The fix points on the brace consist of 8 holes of which I can got my little finger cleanly through

The four fix points consist of 4 existing protruding bolts and associated nuts holding the 2 simple brace type thing on place

If I offer up the brace to the bolts (nuts removed obv) then the bolt doesn't protrude through the brace enough to give enough thread in order to nip up tight
... and even of it did there's movement of the brace because the bolts are thinner than the holes on the brace itself

If tension of the bolts against the brace was the only thing used to keep in moving side to side that would explain half my problem but that doesn't solve the bolt length issue!!

Don't worry about it anyways....I can't do f**k all with it till i next book it on the garage

·
1,927 Posts
The holes are bigger than the studs to allow for alignment. Surely if the studs are long enough to mount the OEM braces then they should be long enough to mount the UB? From what I've seen it's only about 3mm thick and the holes are lightly counterbored anyway.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts