VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Picked up my Mk5 today and absolutely love it!

I'm now trying to update the firmware and the maps - I have been trying to install firmware 4020 and V9 maps.

I cannot seem to find out what version of head unit I have nor the software version either as I cannot access the 'secret menu' when i hold set up for 30 secs i just get a radio set up menu and thats it?!

I basically am not getting any response from the head unit when i put the disc in, what am i doing wrong?

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
117 Posts
If your radio is not set to allow diagnostics, you cant get into it unless someone lends you a VCDS cable or you buy one for yourself(my recommendation) If you want one, the best is from ross-tech.com in the USA. A microcan cable will work with a MK5 but the HEXCAN will allow a much larger range of cars for if you ever update or need to program a Bugatti :) There is a list of cable owners on the site that should be able to help. Some things are changing the radio to allow diagnostics, full circle brake lights, changing steering assistance, the list goes on. It will also give you your radio part (model) number.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Chris

You need to be careful mate as your gona brick that unit.

You need to plug vcds in and find out the current fw. Is the top right button a star or an i with a speaker?

Either way before you install fw4020 you need to install a fw3XXX as this creates the right partitions but also when updating fw make sure keys are NOT in the ignition.

Obv your doing this at your own risk.

Good luck mate

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for replying guys. It's doing my head in. Ie had own navs in the past and updated maps etc no probs before!

It's got a speaker and an i

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
That a version A or B probably running fw0900-1100 at a guess. Vw dealers will have VAS software but should be able to tell you current fw but dont expect them to have a clue what your asking for when you go in there!

Plus you might want to update to fw2720 first.

Sent from Knockofftapatalk.com Free crApp

1 - 8 of 8 Posts