VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone help me?
I have emailed them a number of times now and I can't understand what they mean. Basically I'm upgrading my HPA turbo kit from an FT360 to an HGP 400PS or 440PS. Although it says DSG it's also for the manual according to them, but what's the difference in the kit. Something about the exhaust.... Is it just the hi flow cats or similar? with a different map? As I have hi flow cats, therefore I could just get the 440PS map.
Here is the link, you need to click on the Mk4 section..... http://www.hgp-turbo.de/
I'm wanting to order fairly soon and I'm not sure if I should go with HPA or HGP, HGP is cheaper so I'd be silly to go HPA, but I'm struggling with HGP.
Thanks in advance.

·
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just to confirm, I have a price for the upgrade from FT360 to HGP400, but I want to know what the HGP440 consists of as it looks like I may as well go for that.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
HPA only sell what HGP developed dont they? im under the impression that HPA did a deal with HGP to sell their product.

Id imagine the difference is minimal, more boost and better flow.

Have you explained to them what your current spec is? Im sure you have, maybe there is something special. SirHenri should know, ive sent him a pm to have a read here :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
if its any use to you deck i used google for hgp as some of the pages have a translasion link in the corner,but that may be old news to you !!

·
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wayne said:
SirHenri should know, ive sent him a pm to have a read here :)
Thanks!

Your right, HPA is a rebranded HGP application but HPA only do an FT360, FT400 and FT450 single turbo kits. HGP seem to do a few extra. I'm thinking the 440 may have a different MAF/intake, but I don't really know.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
it could just be down to the fuelling and the maps that HPA do, they have crap fuel over there dont forget, for instance, you say your ft360 feels more than 360, and it probably is, due to having higher octane fuel!

·
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wayne said:
it could just be down to the fuelling and the maps that HPA do, they have crap fuel over there dont forget, for instance, you say your ft360 feels more than 360, and it probably is, due to having higher octane fuel!
Good point! but... They both do FT400's. So maybe the 440 is a larger intake/MAF than on the FT400, that would make sense.

·
Premium Member
7,998 Posts
Hi,
Now that you have installed the FT360 kit, the next two upgrades are as follows:-

FT400 (400hp 380ft-lbs torque) short runner cast intake manifold, single side mount intercooler and SMIC ECU upgrade. Running @13 psi.

FT450 (450hp 415ft-lbs torque) dual side mounted intercooler, high flow fuel pump, high flow catalysts, slicone hoses, piping, race con rod bearings, Dual SMIC ECU upgrade, running @ 14 psi.

I can only assume if you already have some of these components on your car you will only need to purchase what you dont have.

Unfortunately, the ECU is remapped @ HGP so even if you go HPA they will send it to Germany and back, then back to you.

I'm personally thinking of upgrading from FT400 to FT450, I will need another SMIC, silicone hoses, piping, race con rod bearings, uprated fuel pump and ECU remap. The other stuff I already have.

Hope this helps, if not PM me? :)

Regards,

Richard

·
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah ha! Fuel pump, that's what they may have been going on about! With cats....
That makes a little more sense... I see what you're saying but HGP appear to offer different combinations. They do the 400, the 440 and the 460 single turbo kits. The HPA FT450 requires an Audi A8 MAF. Maybe they are just quoting with Europe's fuel octane levels and the HPA guys don't install the manifold for the lower spec kit.
Regarding the ECU, mine was defiantly remapped by HPA, it was delivered to HPA in Canada, remapped and sent back out the same day to me. But there is nothing stopping HPA copying HGP's files themselves. I have a copy of the files off my ECU (they aren't protected for some crazy reason).
I'm still a little lost but I think I may just go for the 440 (even though I have the manifold and hi flow cats).
So I presume all I need is a hi flow fuel pump, silicone tubing and an intercooler (plus ECU remap)....
Have you upgraded your intake? The US guys tend to go for the Evo V flow, and I'm tempted…. I'm currently back to the stock airbox with the bottom half chopped out with a K&N panel.

·
Premium Member
7,998 Posts
Yeah the intake side, Im already using the Audi TT/A8 MAF sensor and air box (cut out with green cotton panel filter). I believe the FT450 kit is actually a 460 (higher octane in the UK than Canada), thats the one I personally would go for. :D

·
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wayne said:
twin smic's decked, do it, you know it makes sense, and create some carbon ducts for them :D :D
Although I'd love to go 450, I think it's a lot to stick through the transmission. Even though I have a Quaife gearbox and LSD, it should be ok but if the 450 goes like they say in the US it requires a lot of love/cash to keep it tip top. And if you drive like you have a lead foot like me it'll get very expensive! (tyres, clutch, haldex, not to mention fuel) It's not really a daily driver at that point..... What the hell am I saying! Stop egging me on! :D

·
Premium Member
7,998 Posts
Like the old saying goes.............'you only live once so make the most of it!', if I had the money now, 450 would be on the car The only thing thats holding me back is my current job situation but who knows......? One day.......? :D

·
4,328 Posts
Deckedr32 said:
Although I'd love to go 450, I think it's a lot to stick through the transmission. Even though I have a Quaife gearbox and LSD, it should be ok but if the 450 goes like they say in the US it requires a lot of love/cash to keep it tip top. And if you drive like you have a lead foot like me it'll get very expensive! (tyres, clutch, haldex, not to mention fuel) It's not really a daily driver at that point..... What the hell am I saying! Stop egging me on! :D
Come on mate you know you want to :) :) :)

Whats the point of the money just sitting in the bank, youmay as well enjoy it :) :) :):D:xD

·
Registered
1 Posts
Havent bought my R yet, but I'm used to having 380bhp so didnt want to get it unless i could reliably get the power. What is the 400 like to drive and, if u dont mind me asking, how much did u pay for the kit/install?

Have u had any other work/upgrades done? Will I need brakes, suspension, clutch etc?

richardshek said:
Hi,
Now that you have installed the FT360 kit, the next two upgrades are as follows:-

FT400 (400hp 380ft-lbs torque) short runner cast intake manifold, single side mount intercooler and SMIC ECU upgrade. Running @13 psi.

FT450 (450hp 415ft-lbs torque) dual side mounted intercooler, high flow fuel pump, high flow catalysts, slicone hoses, piping, race con rod bearings, Dual SMIC ECU upgrade, running @ 14 psi.

I can only assume if you already have some of these components on your car you will only need to purchase what you dont have.

Unfortunately, the ECU is remapped @ HGP so even if you go HPA they will send it to Germany and back, then back to you.

I'm personally thinking of upgrading from FT400 to FT450, I will need another SMIC, silicone hoses, piping, race con rod bearings, uprated fuel pump and ECU remap. The other stuff I already have.

Hope this helps, if not PM me? :)

Regards,

Richard

·
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The kit is perfect! It gets hot but they run hot anyway. Provided you take some additional steps to heat wrap a few pipes you're fine.
The clutch is fine for 400bhp although if you tracking it or up the strip for hard launches you may want to upgrade it.
I would recommend brakes.... you are going a lot faster than stock.

·
Premium Member
7,998 Posts
Deckedr32 said:
The kit is perfect! It gets hot but they run hot anyway. Provided you take some additional steps to heat wrap a few pipes you're fine.
The clutch is fine for 400bhp although if you tracking it or up the strip for hard launches you may want to upgrade it.
I would recommend brakes.... you are going a lot faster than stock.
Hi Decked, I have to agree. :D

Important note: The mapping is crucial as we have already mentioned and after sales customer support.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.