VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

So I've recently been looking into upgrading the standard headunit in a 57 plate MK5 R32 (I believe this was the last model to miss out on getting the new touch screen headunit that comes in the Golf R). Reasons behind it include an outdated Sat-Nav and the need for an SD card/USB slot if possible, plus I'm intending to move to Sweden in 3 months and the car's definitely coming with me!

I've been looking at the Kenwood DNX521DAB, a 'VW ready' unit which should fit straight into the existing space however it carries a slightly heavy price tag of £1049 (fitted with VW).

I've analysed the features and believe not all of them are necessary such as the climate control and parking display sensors, DAB (excellent to have in UK but not so much in Sweden), bluetooth (already have a Parrot bluetooth set).

Has anyone made a similar upgrade? Or does anyone have any suggestions for units that have a similar 'natural fit'? I love the big screen available on both units and just wondered if anyone had any ideas on the way I should go?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'd go for the RNS 510. Perfect bit of kit, does the job well and can be had off the above member for very good prices compared to VW's £2000+ price tag!

·
2,665 Posts
I had an RNS510 fitted. Main plus is its VW standard look and fit....The sat nav integrates with the highline comp etc

·
161 Posts
hiya,,,as above posts,,go with rns510,,had one from nick fitted, a week after we took ownership,,does it all and more,,great piece of kit and looks really good,,best of luck,,regards jason p

·
Registered
223 Posts
Pricey, but I'm going with the dnx521dab.

The climate and parking sensors only work with the mk6 but it doesn't bother me.... If I get a mk6 R....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts