VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Members
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

So, long story short; my standard original clocks/instrument cluster packed up. I asked my auto electrician to try and fix them, but it didn't work. So unfortunately I'm at the stage where I'm wanting to replace the faulty clocks. Fortunately however, this encourages me to do an upgrade I've been wanting to do for a while: upgrade to the highline clocks and get my steering wheel upgraded to a multifunctional steering wheel, buy buying the buttons that replace the little blanking covers on each side of the wheel.

I've already had a quote from VW for the new highline clocks (just shy of £600).Steep, but I want new ones so willing to accept.

My question then, is:

Does anybody know what code/type highline clocks I should be buying, for a 2008 manual Mk5 3-door R32? I know its obviously different for the DSG model, but is there anything else I should be aware of? I don't want to buy clocks that can't be coded to my car properly. I know some will say, buy the original specced clocks, but I've heard of numerous people doing this upgrade successfully in the past, and so want to be part of that crowd ????

Also, has anyone just upgraded their steering wheel from a standard one to a MFSW by just buying the x2 button modules at all?

Thanks in advance for any advice, much appreciated ????????????

Cheers, Les

·
5,501 Posts
If your car doesn't have the multi function steering wheel already. Then you will also need to upgrade the controller under the steering column too. I forget the part number now , but when I was looking for an OEM one. They only came up as ones made in china. Lots of ppl have bought Chinese ones but I managed to find an OEM one and fit it , and it worked fine. You have to code in all in after it's been fitted etc .

Have you managed to find a multifunction steering wheel ?

·
5,501 Posts
If you're after the multi function steering wheel and also the controller which you'll need, I do have my old wheel and controller still in my garage , but not sure what they are worth!

The steering wheel is 98 percent brand new, I only used it for a short while and we sold the car. So I kept the wheel. It's absolutely mint, but it's got orange stitching as it's a special edition wheel fitted to the limited edition farenheight GTi model Mk5

·
Members
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi all,

Thank you for all of the replies, I have read them all and do appreciate your time and info! Kept getting side-tracked every time I was mid-reply ...not this time though ????

So after reading this thread and a few others, and speaking to the chaps at TL Darby Volkswagen, I think I've managed to compile a list of parts I need to upgrade the midline computer to a highline, steering wheel to a multifunction wheel and ad cruise control to my 3 door manual 2008 R32.

I just wonderes if any of the boffins with a bit more knowlesge than me could help me with two things?

1) Do I need to buy a controller, and if so would anybody be able to suggest what part number one I'd need to order (to match up to my car)?

2) Below is the list of parts I'm intending to buy from the dealer (wanting to buy new parts with warranties etc), could anybody confirm that these parts will work 100% with my car and are all codeable to my car too:

Clocks / Instrument Cluster:
PART NUMBER: 1K6 920 964 AX Z02
DESCRIPTION: Combi-instrument

Multifunction Steering Wheel:
PART NUMBER: 1K0 419 091 GS TVJ
DESCRIPTION: mult.steering wheel (leather) Black/aluminium

Steering Wheel Stalk (right):
PART NUMBER: 1K0 953 519 J 9B9
DESCRIPTION: Switch for windshield wiper, wipers and washer and multi function indicator operating
Satin black

Steering Wheel Stalk (left):
PART NUMBER: 1K0 953 513 G 9B9
DESCRIPTION: Switch for turn signal, main and dipped beam, flasher switch for lights, parking light, cruise control system
Satin black

Don't like the idea of having to settle for certain features not working for example, it's all or nothing for me on this one ????

Thanks again for everyone's time on this! Really looking forward to getting this all done ????????????

Cheers, Les

·
Members
45 Posts
Also, if anyone can think of any other features I could add whilst I'm doing these upgrades, please do let me know! I've already gained cruise control as a by product of e these upgrades, what else can I add? Reversing sensors? Ejector seats? BS detectors? Etc. Etc.

Many thanks,
Les

·
Members
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi all, I messaged my auto electrician regarding fitting the above new parts to my Golf, and he has asked the following questions, if anyone who has done this before could kindly shine some light on this for me?

"Is there wiring aswell to go with them? Not sure if you need a body module and wiring to go from steering wheel to body module and engine Ecu?"

Any input would be hugely appreciated!

Thanks all!

Cheers,
Les

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.