VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has to be THE easiest mod to do to your Mk4. It takes 30 seconds to replace the grilles. I bought the grilles off a member on the forum who sells them, look under the classified section to find them.

First remove the old non-vented grilles, simply ease a flat head screwdriver inbetween the body work and the grill where the red arrows are. You dont need to use much pressure and certainly should not be damaging/scratching the paintwork. They pop out with minimum fuss..

As my car is silver, when I removed the non-vented side grilles I noticed quite a bit of silver body work, which when I replaced the vented side grilles can be seen and spoil the look. Simple remedy, paint the silver (or whatever body colour part (red/blue/silver etc..) with some black spray paint. If you have a black car you wont need to paint it of course, but there is some silver metal behind the right front side vent which could do with some blackening.

I used hammerite metal paint as behind the Right front side grill is some metalwork. I used some masking tape and paper to cover the rest of the bumper so I didnt spray any unwanted parts. Give everything you want to spray a good clean (soap/water/turpentine to get rid of grease) then dry it properly. Once masking tape and paper secured in place to protect the bodywork, get spraying. I put on 3 layers. Then, once dry just pop in the vented side grilles.

The pictures dont do it justice, but when you look at it in real life it looks SO good and how it should have always looked.

·
Admin
9,271 Posts
you can buy them both from USA MK4 R32 front bumper vents

Or you can buy one side from dealers already vented. The part number is 1J0 853 666 J B41 for about £6+vat,this is the drivers side so you would need to cut the passenger one out your self

·
61 Posts
Paulie said:
you can buy them both from USA MK4 R32 front bumper vents

Or you can buy one side from dealers already vented. The part number is 1J0 853 666 J B41 for about £6+vat,this is the drivers side so you would need to cut the passenger one out your self
Thanks a lot for the prompt reply.

I highly doubt Sydney dealers would have them though.

Will look on that website.
Isn't the CAI located on passenger side?

·
Admin
9,271 Posts
Yes but the vented on from dealers is from a left hand drive and it's off DSG model I think which was only available in Europe but not UK

·
Admin
9,271 Posts
aye the intercoolers go with the turbo....lol....they do look better than the normal ones and if you have a steady hand don't take long to cut out with a good sharpe knife

·
61 Posts
Paulie said:
aye the intercoolers go with the turbo....lol....they do look better than the normal ones and if you have a steady hand don't take long to cut out with a good sharpe knife
oh no, i meant i might not need the vented grills. all i have is my CAI there, not twin intercoolers.

·
503 Posts
it'l certainly help airflow to your CAI, worth doing :)

·
61 Posts
Meeerrrk said:
it'l certainly help airflow to your CAI, worth doing :)
yeah?....

any issues with foreign matter entering? water?

edit: Sorry that was a stupid question...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts