VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed when doing motorway driving im getting a vibration more so through my bum than pedals or gear stick.
Haldex serviced about 1500 miles ago, im wondering if it's tyres? they are Pirelli's not on ware bars but getting down or could this be a diff problem?
My mate noticed it Wednesday evening when we were out.

Any imput greatly appreciated!

·
19,389 Posts
First thing to check is wheel balance and all the wheel bolts are torqued up.

·
19,389 Posts

·
678 Posts
Try the Balance ring or center bearing on prop shaft would be an easy start....

I know when i worked on transits that when the dual mass fly wheel started to go you would ge a vibration through the vehicle.

Keep us informed with what you find

·
19,389 Posts
When checking the propshaft don't make the mistake in thinking that some nuts have fell off. There are different amounts of nuts on the bolts in order to balance it.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
cuprabob said:
When checking the propshaft don't make the mistake in thinking that some nuts have fell off. There are different amounts of nuts on the bolts in order to balance it.
Bob I'm hoping you can clear this up for me. I too thought a bolt was missing at the rear as there was just a protruding thread. I was told it was supposed to be like that. Since then however I noticed recently that a nut has been placed on it. When questioned they said the little weights attached to the prop itself are used to balance it, not the nuts. What say you?

·
693 Posts
Nuts and bolts are / should be weighted to the shaft itself, so when replacing a nut or bolt, they in theory should all be changed.

Every bolt should have a nut attached, for security of locking, but what I think Bob is saying, some may have another amount of nuts to act as the weights.

I'm only talking from an Aircraft background where you have a rotating shaft, similar to a prop shaft, but the shaft and bolts and nuts are specifically weighted to each other, so cannot just chuck another random bolt or nut on etc.

I know there are a few prop shaft balancing companies out there, and when a friend has his Landrover shaft balanced it cosy around £60 inc Vat.

·
19,389 Posts
Bob I'm hoping you can clear this up for me. I too thought a bolt was missing at the rear as there was just a protruding thread. I was told it was supposed to be like that. Since then however I noticed recently that a nut has been placed on it. When questioned they said the little weights attached to the prop itself are used to balance it, not the nuts. What say you?
I agree with JamieP86, that it's good practice that every bolt should have a nut as security, however, according to this thread, they say it is possible to have a bolt without any nuts. Obviously the consequences of losing a bolt on an aircraft are much greater than losing one in this specific application.

http://forums.vwvort...ead.php?1561609

2. Subject: Driveshaft nuts appear to be missing at rear differential.
date: Feb. 24, 04
condition: a) nuts/washers appear to be missing on
driveshaft.
driveshaft bolts may produce beyond the threaded flange giving the appearance that the nuts and washers are missing. c) specifically weighted nuts/washers may be used to balance the driveshaft on one, two, or three bolts. d) possible that nuts/washers may not be installed on any bolt.

I just though I'd let everyone know of this information. I also recommend that if you do find the driveshaft to be missing nuts, that you DO NOT place nuts on the driveshaft. It may throw off the balance of the driveshaft. You can ask any other questions that you have.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Took the old girl for a 100 mile round trip tonight and no vibration and i haven't had chance to do any of the things above

1 - 10 of 10 Posts