VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Eats Kitty Litter
7,307 Posts
Yeah the solenoids with the plugs on the end

I did have a few scrap heads with the VVT mech still attached left out on scrap heap. I will have a look to see if the plugs are still there and in good condition. Do you happen to have the part numbers you need as there are mk4 and Mk5 heads mixed up.

·
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well technically they're sockets, the plug is on the wiring harness

Anyway, no p/ns to hand as I have to take the chain covers off to get at them. Car is still in use at the moment.

The engine is making a loud clattering noise when hot and with very little throttle. Pulling the VVT plugs makes the noise go away so I was just going to replace both of the solenoids in one hit.

I had a similar issue with a MK5 engine where the intake one made a very loud buzzing noise. Not the most reliable of things!!

·
Eats Kitty Litter
7,307 Posts
Sorry i forgot to look today as my scrap heap is at work. I will try to remember tomorrow morning when at work again.

·
1,064 Posts
thought you had sorted this out bud
this worries me about mine when i fit the r32 ecu

rich what engine code is your's ? mk4 or mk5

·
1,935 Posts
thought you had sorted this out bud
this worries me about mine when i fit the r32 ecu

rich what engine code is your's ? mk4 or mk5
Mines a MK4, thinking my problem may be related to the cam adjusters or the solenoids as I didn't replace either of these when I did the chains but still getting high values (-9, -5) in blocks 208 & 209.

Getting it checked over next Friday in case there's something else that I've missed before stripping it back down again.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did some more testing and the noise is still there with both VVT plugs pulled, but not as loud, so I'm not thinking it's one or both of the VVT adjusters, rather than the solenoids.

I'm pretty sure it's not an engine issue. The noise isn't a rythmic tap like a rod bearing, gudgeon pin or tappet. It's definitely a clattering sound and definitely coming from that side of the engine. Not the DMF as that was replaced with the chains.

·
Eats Kitty Litter
7,307 Posts
Sorry had a look and the heads don`t have any VVT mech on them.

·
88 Posts
Ive got a VVT Mech from a BUB head. I've got it all stripped down at work, with all the part numbers written on the bags so i can update you with what i've got.

HTH

·
88 Posts
Just an update with Part numbers. I can't give you any of the history of the head/engine, as I just bought is as a dressed head and the previous owner had bought it as a head too. From what I could see during the disassembly, it all looked in a good clean, unmarked state.
  • Camshaft Adjustment control housing # 066.109.210L
  • Valve 1 ( Inlet camshaft N205) #22.100.202 & # 12.100.354
  • Valve 2 ( Exhaust camshaft N318) # 22.100.206 & # 12.100.359
  • Intake camshaft timing adjuster #022.109.087H ( marked with "24E")
  • Exhaust camshaft timing adjuster #022.109.088L ( marked with "32A")

·
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think the MK5 stuff causes "crank / cam sensor incorrect correlation" errors on a MK4 ECU but I'll do some digging and come back to you. Cheers for listing all that!

·
Eats Kitty Litter
7,307 Posts
Yeah Mk5 VVT don`t work on a MK4 plus the plugs on the solenoids are different i believe.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts