VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Community Clown!
5,234 Posts
Just a few questions for those who have fitted one of these..

A. Was it a pain to wire up due to the A pillar having airbags??
B. I've heard it's a really snug fit that requires some cutting in order for it to be pushed back up once connected.. Is this true?
C. Where did you get the extender wire from that takes it from the light to the fuse box, it is 1.0mm you used?
D. Did you wire it into the dimmer switch as it's supposed to be or elsewhere?

I've got one waiting to be fitted but thought i'd ask these questions first..

·
1,534 Posts
I didn't have to cut anything on mine to get it fitted, wasn't really snug I would say the same as the normal lighting unit, I ran the wire no problems even with the air bag just pushed it down the sides to hide the wire so it cant be seen, I wired mine into the dimmer switch with a connector the same with my lit door handles on the same process, but wired them into the electric window switches for the dimming etc

·
Community Clown!
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How did you thread it through from the light to the airbag? Which connector did you use?? Also why did you wire it into the window switches instead of the headlight dimmer switch? Any reason for that?

·
1,534 Posts
How did you thread it through from the light to the airbag? Which connector did you use?? Also why did you wire it into the window switches instead of the headlight dimmer switch? Any reason for that?
i done the light to the dimmer and my door handles to the windows, i used one off ebay for about £14 i think, the wire i used a draw wire poked it through to where i could see it and pulled it through no problem dead easy to do mate

·
Community Clown!
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah cheers for that fella.. Just wanted to make sure. My mate did it in his 1.8T and he's very good with wiring but was wondering if the curtain airbags in mine would cause a problem as he didn't have that to worry about in his... But we'll sort it i'm sure. Thanks for the help.

·
1,534 Posts
No problem mate, not had any troubles with mine, i just pushed the wire behind it so its not snagging anything, ive some how messed up my glove box light so it doesnt work anymore when i tried to put an led bulb in the other day came out in loads of pieces lol, and some reason my boot light stopped workin the other day god knows why bloody golfs lol just one big headache

·
Community Clown!
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ahh, the old glovebox light.. It can be a pain yeah, a lot of people have had the same problem with it falling to pieces. I was always really careful with mine as i knew it was a bit fiddly. As for the bootlight, it could be various things.. Check the diagnostics, see if it throws up any error codes, failing that, It might just have a dodgy contact or could be a bit damp. Have you tried taking it off the connector and spraying it with contact cleaner?

·
Community Clown!
5,234 Posts
Yeah i've already got the plug and play loom, but that's only to make the connection between the light and the cars wiring harness, you still need about 2-3 metres of single core 1mm wire to splice onto the dimmer switch in the fuse box for the illumination of the ambient lights...

·
Registered
384 Posts
Does anyone know how to wire in footwell lights to the mk4 as I want them to come on when I unlock the car but couldn't find a fuse for it in the fuse box. Am thinking I may have to run the wires up to the interior lights.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I had to cut away done foam sound deadening in the roof to allow for the lights bigger plug socket, nothing major tho,

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Just a few questions for those who have fitted one of these..

A. Was it a pain to wire up due to the A pillar having airbags??
B. I've heard it's a really snug fit that requires some cutting in order for it to be pushed back up once connected.. Is this true?
C. Where did you get the extender wire from that takes it from the light to the fuse box, it is 1.0mm you used?
D. Did you wire it into the dimmer switch as it's supposed to be or elsewhere?

I've got one waiting to be fitted but thought i'd ask these questions first..
Just done it this week!

A. Was it a pain to wire up due to the A pillar having airbags?? ---> i pulled the door rubber down and this gave me access to the rear of the pillar, rather than remove the cover itself...

B. I've heard it's a really snug fit that requires some cutting in order for it to be pushed back up once connected.. Is this true? ---> I just pushed mine back up, i was tight but it went in perfectly....

C. Where did you get the extender wire from that takes it from the light to the fuse box, it is 1.0mm you used? ---> I used some old cable i had laying around in my electrical box was the same MM as the loom supplied.....

D. Did you wire it into the dimmer switch as it's supposed to be or elsewhere? ---> I Wired mine into the dimmer switch, but have Bora illuminated vents also so could have wired it to these also ....

Have a look at my build buddy its all on the last page, you will get the idea from that as i took a few shots as i did the job...

Hope this helps, PM if needs be buddy

Wez

·
Community Clown!
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cheers for that Wez, me and my mate did it last week though. Went without a hitch i'm pleased to say!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts