VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im still thinking about changing for something more cost effective to run but something with a bit of poke. Thought maybe a GTD but there a little bit pricey or the rocco TDI which I like but maybe not so practical. I was passing a dealer on sunday and saw this. Polo never really entered my mind but looking inside it I thought it looked nice and solid also not as basic as early models. Reading up the specs on them its quick and I know no matter what car I get next I know its never going to be as quick or fun as my R32 but I need something I can use every day. Only thing that puts me off a bit is that 1.4 TSI engine twin charger which has had some issues but I think as long as you get one thats been looked after it and get one with full history maybe even extended warrenty I should be ok? No car is perfect. Any thoughts or expriences?

http://www.citygate.co.uk/used-cars/search/7492/volkswagen-polo

·
19,404 Posts
It's a cracking little car and you would be surprised how much fun it will be to drive.

As you have alluded to, my only concern is the well documented issues with the 1.4 twin charger engine and for that reason alone I wouldn't buy one. It's all very well having extended warranty but it's still a lot hassle when it goes wrong and resale prices will be hit accordingly.

Have a look at the newly released Polo GT Bluemotion, looks like a cracking little car.

·
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have just made my life harder bob. That could fit the bill just need to see if I can afford it

·
1,538 Posts
I had a new polo when my R went in for a new boot lid. I didn't want to hand it over as it was great. Only a 1.2 petrol but it was nippy and well specced got a courtesy car.
If I needed one I'd have one in an instant!
But the blue motion would be my choice

·
1,152 Posts
I bought the misses a brand new Polo 1.2 (70ps) Match, its a great car, they lie about the MPG as even driving like a fairy i can only manage 44mpg! I defo think its the best looking polo they have brought out so far.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I found the polo gti more fun then the mk6 R nice and quick for a small motor, I ain't seen any twin charged engines go wrong for a while now vw have made many changes to the early time bombs lol.

·
2,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to give the dealer a buzz and try it out. Cheap car considering what your getting

·
Hard Member
112 Posts
I have a new polo gti which I traded my r32 in for on the 1 st march last year.
Its by far the most fun car you can buy for the money, althogh it was £22.000 with all the extras that I had put on it.
Its fully loaded and will give me around 37 mpg around town and I got 47 mpg on a run to gatwick last year.
And that was down the M11 + M25 at a mostly constant speed above the legal speed limit.

Reactions: raiden

·
1,066 Posts
The engine is amazing when hooked up to a DSG. Drives like a go cart and pulls through the whole range. Lots of fun to be had with this motor

·
19,404 Posts
The engine is amazing when hooked up to a DSG. Drives like a go cart and pulls through the whole range. Lots of fun to be had with this motor
If I remember correctly the 180hp variant of the twin charger engine is only available with DSG in the Polo / Ibiza / Fabia. A bit like the new sporty Clio, a manual is not available.

·
1,066 Posts
If I remember correctly the 180hp variant of the twin charger engine is only available with DSG in the Polo / Ibiza / Fabia. A bit like the new sporty Clio, a manual is not available.
Yes my mate took me out for a spin in an Ibiza that he was taking out for a test drive. I owned. Corrado VR6 at the time and was really impressed with how well the engine pulled. I was thinking the C would struggle to keep pace.

·
19,404 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Nice car and you hardly see the them around!

See how it drives and let us know!

Would say they are overpriced but then what VW isn't!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.