VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been chatting to AP racing today, and it appears that they dont have a specific big brake kit available for the R32.

They have said however that they would be willing to design and build us one, which i think would be cool, we could maybe get some specific R32 things in there, maybe a special R32 only colour caliper or some such?

I havnt said anything yet, but if there is enough interest ill push with it and see what i can sort out.

Let me know, off to the gym again :D:ciao:

·
3,732 Posts
could you not organise a group buy initially then leave a discount scheme for club members in place?

mainly as the mrs would throw something at my face if i make anymore purchases at the moment so would need to get ground clearance in maybe a month or so :D

G

·
They would need to be competively priced as the ECS Stage 5 kit and the Tarox brakes conversion lead the field here.

·
4,328 Posts
yeah as long as they are small in size so fit behind lms :) but have plenty of pistons, as well has been able to do the rears as well ill be in

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im going to speak to the main architect there tommorow. Ill see what we can sort out, if anything :)

G

·
Hi,

best way to do the dimensions is to make a template from the inside of the wheel from the centre of the hub mating face to the outer edge of the rim, following the profile of a spoke, a bit like my poor attempt below (the template would be the red/orange shaded bit, the red to be dimensioned but down to the centre of the wheel with the grey lines being the profile of the wheel).

Hope this makes some sense.

Cheers

Neil

=======
((#####
.\\####
..||###
..||###
..HHHH#
..HHHH"
..HHHH
..||
..||
..//
((
=======

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys. Ok, i have spoken to AP at length again this morning, and they are really helpful. We spoke about the reasonining behind sticking a bigger front brake setup on the front, the different pad and disc types etc etc.

According to his findings and some of my research, the discs are Ø340mmx30mm, with an offset from the hub mounting face to rear brake face of 42.5mm, employs a 65mm deep pad face.

Could anybody who knows about the MK5 r32 confirm any differences between it and the mk4? As obviously both me and AP agreed we would like to make the kit universal for both the mk4 and the mk5.

The only thing that they noticed was is that the stock mk5 wheel is slightly less friendly when it comes to caliper clearence....

Anyways, the parts included are pretty intense and almost competition spec.

A full brake kit including 6-pot calipers, you can see here ( http://www.apracing.com/roadcar/caliper/data.asp?family=CP7040 ), 355mm/32mm floating strap discs, Ferrodo DS2500 pads, all fixing bolts, caliper mounting brackets, braided hoses and high temperature brake fluid.

The discs were design for the GT cars, and almost completely elliminate any vibration caused by hot or warped discs due to their 'floating' nature.

The only downside so far is the price, which is slightly more expensive than the ECS kit, however i would go as far as saying this kit is ALOT more 'direct' in its application, ie: its made for the .:r instead of some porsche calipers being retro-fitted.

Im going to continue to work with the guys, theyre very helpful and very keen to help us, and are willing to even just make some discs that would replace the OEM ones at a similar price of the OE ones.

Any of you guys have any questions please let me know.

He did say that hard braking with the above setup would make the brake discs glow, to which i replied, "Cool!!"

:tee:

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well, for that kit, retail would be around £1650 + vat :eek: :eek:

However, im guessing thats just for one set, and theyre under no illusions that people are not going to pay that when they can get the ECS for £1500 including. That is mainly due to the strength of the pound to the dollar.

Im going to continue to work with them, as they are very interested in the whole thing, so i think they would have no problem bending over backwards to accomodate us.

Having said that, we i could get the price to the same or nearly the same as the ECS, considering this is a specific and race bred kit, would that be reasonable?

G

·
That's a difficult one really as the ECS is proven. Loads of people have it fitted and if given the option for the same price I think I would go for the ECS Kit - sorry. The disc is also bigger with the ECS conversion. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thats fair enough, and its another point that i can put forward to the guys at AP. on the proven point, i believe the same or similar setup is used on alot of the wrc rally cars and FIA GT racers, althought i know what you mean as its not proven on our specific car.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
indeed fifty :D

sent another e-mail to see what can be sorted out.

Can anybody else that would potentially be interested please let me know? and if anybody has any questions also

1 - 20 of 25 Posts