VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, was going to put this in the other thread i started but i guess its a different topic...

the R32 is a great car...no doubt about that! but like many reviewers have said, it really needs a bit more power.

I think 300bhp is about the perfect sort of output the R needs.

So what work would need to be done in order to bring the R up to that sort of output?

Im curious, because I would like to get my R up to that sort of level, but im not sure of the amount of work and expense needed to do so.

any thoughts? i know there are a few of you out there with that sort of power level already :)

·
6,197 Posts
cams....manifolds....cats....exhaust....intake.....ecu map....and you should be near...money?....quite alot....
Milltek exhaust/cat/manifolds will set you back around £1400
Cams around £700
Intake around £200
Map around £500ish

Hope this helps...
J

·
777 Posts
To be honest, 300 is just a number. It sounds good. Why not try a full exhaust, cold air intake and a remap. That will cost you enough and should give you about 270-280 bhp. If thats not enough (it should feel much faster after all those) then you can do manifolds and cams, which again will cost you a few more grand and then you will hit the magical 300 mark, not sure you will feel like it needs it though.

·
2,808 Posts
To be honest, 300 is just a number. It sounds good. Why not try a full exhaust, cold air intake and a remap. That will cost you enough and should give you about 270-280 bhp. If thats not enough (it should feel much faster after all those) then you can do manifolds and cams, which again will cost you a few more grand and then you will hit the magical 300 mark, not sure you will feel like it needs it though.
I think this is just wishful thinking, has anyone got a dyno to prove that a car with these mods hits 300hp? Iv got these mods and mine hits 270. Arnt r32's underpowered from the start?
If anyone has similar mods to mine Im willing to pay for theirs to be RR'd.

Strangely though, my car will keep up with and often beat 300hp'd cars, beats Boxter S and keeps up with evo 320.

·
3,732 Posts
its not just about the numbers though, i beat a 350bhp car at inters with him only catching me at the end of the run, theres alot of factors involved :)

·
777 Posts
I agree Rupo, the figures are optimistic. There is an article online for a VAGTECH mk4 R32 NA project that has most of these mods on it, plus a few others and it only made 277 bhp.

Its all about how the car feels and its on road performance. Lots of people have been in mine when pushing 3rd and 4th and really feel it eats the road up as fast as 300 bhp imprezas or S3's and mine only got CAI and cat-back milltek (So far:cool:)

·
544 Posts
you need an ed30 lol:wink:
you need a charger or a turbo to get over 300bhp its the only way or bore the mtr out to a 3.6

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
3,281 Posts
I totally agree with Rupo, a true 300hp from an R going down the regular relatively cheap route in performance tuning standards ie. Cams (which in my opinion only shift power), cats, exhaust, remap etc is wishful thinking.

Most will know that development in new engines uses such a high degree of technology for cylinder head, piston, rods etc casting and milling, that for the gains in performance v's actual BHP/Torque and drivability, the expense is just not worth it on a modern NA engine and from speaking to several different tuners recently, and proved by one tuner in particular with a dyno plot, some of these mods actually decrease power.

The only way to go in my opinion if you want real power gains on an R32 is the charged route, Supercharger or Turbo and if you've got more money to throw at it than sense then chuck in all these other mods on top for serious tuning to compliment the forced induction.

Either that or throw some 50hp nos at a standard engine for a quick fix!! :wink:

·
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you guys have made some fair points.

i guess you're right in that 300 is just a number.

what im lookin for is a noticeable performance upgrade...without going to the extreme..as i dont want to go crazy with the mods.

im not just after the power upgrade though...i want it to be reliable and still handle the extra power well. so what else other than just engine upgrades are required to make a 270-300 bhp R handle the road/ track at that sort of power level? are the stock clutch and such going to fair well?

·
5,616 Posts
clutch will be fine.

id recommend getting the haldex performance controller, some race ARB's, possibly some coilovers too.

·
842 Posts
it's not all about the horses... Nm's do a hell of alot out on the road and the R has shed loads of them

the only reason the R32 is low on bhp IMO is down to the breathing ability so forced induction and/or a better intake setup (ITB's) would massively improve things

·
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
16vTej said:
it's not all about the horses... Nm's do a hell of alot out on the road and the R has shed loads of them

the only reason the R32 is low on bhp IMO is down to the breathing ability so forced induction and/or a better intake setup (ITB's) would massively improve things
anyone else concur? would a forced induction really help out a lot?

is the remap the best place to start then?

·
3,281 Posts
Depends on your long term plans mate. No point in mapping your engine now if your going to charge it.

·
2,548 Posts
Spiritual Beggar said:
anyone else concur? would a forced induction really help out a lot? is the remap the best place to start then?
Forced induction is best bet for BHP vs £££ but it's expensive. I like the S/C route but options are v limited at the moment. Rotrex is probably the best quality but solution is in testing and very unproven. The HPA/HGP route (FT400) is reliable and VERY high quality but it will set you back nearly 10k!

Cams, intake, zorst and a good custom map should see 280hp. I'm currently looking at additional mods required to hit 300ish N/a.

·
Registered
364 Posts
same intentions here. zorst first, evoms intake second, remap and the RR to see where its at.
Will have to think from there to see whats next but would keep it Naturally Aspirated.

·
3,281 Posts
Paulie said:
What you really need for loads of horse power is ....long arms and deep pockets....lol
Has there ever been any other way?! :xD

1 - 19 of 19 Posts