VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i'm posting this up but obviously not condoning you try this out on a public road but i know quite a few will have been on the autobahn's.
I'll lend you my private air strip for the purposes of this thread:p

Anyway i had 160mph speedo readout last night so that can start the thread off.
couldnt believe how it sat there still solid as ever, no weave or shakey moments.

Thats beaten my previous top-end in a volvo T-5 which was all over the place.:015:

·
947 Posts
I alos managed 160mph but it was very very wet and I lost my balls. The car felt very stable indeed and felt as if it might be able to squeeze a few more mph out of her.

·
616 Posts
It's nice to see i'm not the only nutter with an R32! :D

·
2,443 Posts
well iv only had a 145mph at the moment but if you gyes are getting that im going to feel left out so watch this space;)

·
79 Posts
I had 145 on the M4 west bound and was caught by a mobile van. Hence the reason for stating the M4. Had a £555 fine and a 55 day ban. Got off likely I'd say.;)

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
748 Posts
Had ~130 the other week up the Mountain Mile on the TT course over here. Lost me bottle at that point as it is only a B road....

Rock solid at speed tho' :)

·
171 Posts
120 and then I got scared! :011:

As much as I love my powerful cars so that I can get away from the toll at the severn bridge before everyone else..you will probably never see me hitting silly speeds in them (well not till i get her on a private road anyways :D )

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
5,616 Posts
Had 145 but she was still going when i had to ease off.

·
Registered
184 Posts
A GPS Speedo (Road Angel, TomTom etc) is the only way to see how fast your car really is at the top end. Analogue speedos frequently over-read by 5-7% at the top end, sometimes even more.

·
947 Posts
Norfolk said:
135 on the speedo, 122 on the GPS. Talk about inaccurate speedo's
Maybe your GPS is inaccurate.

I have a mate in traffic branch and they have a MKIV R32 (no mods to the engine) and they had it at 160mph on the car speedo and their callibrated police one was reading 156mph!!!

·
189 Posts
Should hope not! It's got the latest GPS chip in it. Plus it relies on the speed reading as it has a camera database in it. I imagine the company would be in for a lot of legal issues if their GPS device got people tickets :)

But you are right though, it is still a possibility. :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Neal said:
Maybe your GPS is inaccurate.

I have a mate in traffic branch and they have a MKIV R32 (no mods to the engine) and they had it at 160mph on the car speedo and their callibrated police one was reading 156mph!!!
Neal, what constabulary is this mate??

And the highest speed i have had was 185mph, this was while i was reading a newspaper, drinking a can of pop, and and the car was in reverse...beat that chaps:D

·
1,432 Posts
I got 120mph whilst I was in France last week. Everything started shooting by at such a rapid rate I decided to ease off. Not surprising considering I live on an island with a max speed of 35mph so anything over 100mph is deemed fairly fast :)

·
77 Posts
Managed a quick 150 recently. Got to 140 without much effort. the next 10 took a bit longer. There was more available but would have taken a bit of road and thought I'd done enough!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts