VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey chaps,

Took the R along for a wheel alignment today. Two issues:

1. Right front rack end and track rod end have fused together, making it impossible to adjust.
2. Rear wheels toeing out - the chap was unable to adjust these - said the bolts were at their extremes of travel and he could do no more!

My questions:

1. I suppose the RF rack end and track rod needs changing.. Is it worthwhile changing the LF aswell?
2. Whats a good place to get wheel alignment done in the Midlands (for Mk4 R32s)?

I`m sure the rear end is a matter of inexperience, they did say they haven`t done any Mk4s and these are different to the 'normal' Mk4 golfs. To be fair to the chaps they didn`t charge me either.

Any input would be welcome

Thanks

Abheesh

2,149 Posts
Stealth Racing also have the VAG Beissbarth 4 wheel alignment jig. They're in Southam, which is midlands ish

I would replace the track rod end if it's seized because on the MK4, the official way to do the tracking is to centre the steering wheel and then adjust both the rods, rather than adjusting one rod and then adjusting the steering wheel to get it centred again, but you can actually adjust the steering wheel up to 2-3 notches without the ESP complaining. If you go too far, the ESP warning will come up on the dash within a mile or so.

If you take the steering wheel airbag off, you'll see the steering wheel retaining nut and alignment marks. If the steering wheel mark isn't aligned with the dot punch on the column shaft, someone's been in there and moved it and is a good oppurtunity to realign it before you do the tracking, but you can recalibrate the ESP in VCDS if comes to it.

Good luck!

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Stealth Racing also have the VAG Beissbarth 4 wheel alignment jig. They're in Southam, which is midlands ish

I would replace the track rod end if it's seized because on the MK4, the official way to do the tracking is to centre the steering wheel and then adjust both the rods, rather than adjusting one rod and then adjusting the steering wheel to get it centred again, but you can actually adjust the steering wheel up to 2-3 notches without the ESP complaining. If you go too far, the ESP warning will come up on the dash within a mile or so.

If you take the steering wheel airbag off, you'll see the steering wheel retaining nut and alignment marks. If the steering wheel mark isn't aligned with the dot punch on the column shaft, someone's been in there and moved it and is a good oppurtunity to realign it before you do the tracking, but you can recalibrate the ESP in VCDS if comes to it.

Good luck!
Vince at Stealth was my first call! His machine is broken, estimates a month to get it back up.

Thanks for the input, will bear it in mind. I`ve booked into Midland VW to have her looked at:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.