VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone show me a picture of an R on 19s that HASN'T been lowered? Its likely that I'd do wheels long before suspension, so I'm keen to see how it looks...

Cheers!
:cheers:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just read one of Pomme's old posts that says he runs at standard ride height (but stiffened) with 19s - I thought his looked good... is that the effect of spacers that make the arches look fuller?

The other option is just springs as you say, but would dropping 25mm with H&R springs mean a crap ride?

·
1,432 Posts
Lets OFF.....ROAD! This is a pic before my coilovers were fitted way back in 2004.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FiftyPenceR32 said:
Lets OFF.....ROAD!
IMHO it doesn't look bad! But while on the subject of springs....

Ok so having done some research into the archives on tyresmoke (you've been around along time 50!) I can see that lowering springs is a valid option. I have been tentative to go that route as I had 35mm lowering springs on my mk3 GTi and it was a hard ride.

Pablos007 tells me that lowering his R by 20mm on H&R springs didn't really compromise the ride (and by the sounds of it, adding ARBs soon distracted him from any bumps anyway!) - I guess the R's suspension is a lot more sophisticated than the lowly mk3 Gti's....

However looking a bit further into this, I understand that firstly I will need adjustable tie arms on the rear if I lower 20mm right? Saw a post where it was suggested that anything lower than 10mm needed these.

And secondly I also read that to get the R completely flat I would need 2X15mm springs and 2x20mm springs - is that true? Coilovers really aren't an option for my wallet unfortunately (esp if I'm going to save for some 19s).

Sorry, this thread is probably one for "performance and technical" now....

cheers

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
khutula said:
Have you read this thread
Yeah I did thanks Kuthula...so I probably would do the tie arms to be on the safe side. It would be great to get a second opinion on the need to run the front 5mm higher than the back for all to be level.. is this necessary? Surely VW would have done that themselves at standard height if so...

Also some second opinion on the car's ride from those with experience of just springs and no coilovers would be great.

G

·
The right height on mine is pretty much the same at the front and rear - and it handles brilliantly
- looks great too :151:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
khutula said:
The right height on mine is pretty much the same at the front and rear - and it handles brilliantly
- looks great too :151:
Yeah I agree yours does look good in the pics I've seen on here.... but isn't your good ride down to the KWs? Did you ever just have lowering springs?

G

·
Yes you're right mine has KW V3s - sorry not had just lowering springs - Dannyrado does though.

His car looks good - not sure about the ride as I have never been in it - could be worth sending him a PM.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
khutula said:
Yes you're right mine has KW V3s - sorry not had just lowering springs - Dannyrado does though.

His car looks good - not sure about the ride as I have never been in it - could be worth sending him a PM.
done! Cheers mate:151:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts