VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently had my set of genuine mk4 golf r32 OZ wheels refurb in Hyper Silver. However I am not 100% happy with the finish.

Since the wheels have been powder coated I can see pitting in certain area's of the wheels and orange peel effect. some area's have a nice smooth perfect finish.

Question is when people have had wheels powder coated before has it filled any pitting to leave a smooth finish all over? When the wheels were sent for powder coat they had original paint with some water corrosion in area's but nothing major but now seem to have more imperfections showing than before?

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's what I was thinking mate, thought they would use a primer before hand to fill any imperfections.

all they said was they cant do anything about them as its the alloy?

·
Registered
559 Posts
I've had this before on BBS RC (anniversary wheels) it's ether down to a poor prep or finish or in my case my wheels were corroded before hand. But ether way a decent powdercoater should of told you what to expect, could always take them back?

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
that's what I was thinking mate, thought they would use a primer before hand to fill any imperfections.

all they said was they cant do anything about them as its the alloy?
BS i would say. No excuse for a shit job at all.

·
2,303 Posts
Wheels are a nightmare to do but you can still get a good finish

Ideally they should be dipped then shot blasted to bare metal, any grinding done to rid kerb marks then they should be primed and then powder coated or painted and cleared

The finish with powder oat won't be anywhere near as good as paint and clear

If they just did over the original paint then they should of sanded them done filled any pitting with 1k filler, primed then painted them

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
they were dipped/shot blasted to get all the old paint off and clean the surface. But now can see pitting in some of the wheel bolt holes and inbetween the spokes.

Ive seen pictures of a lot of wheels powder coated and not seen any that have bad pitting.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Hulmie said:
they were dipped/shot blasted to get all the old paint off and clean the surface. But now can see pitting in some of the wheel bolt holes and inbetween the spokes.

Ive seen pictures of a lot of wheels powder coated and not seen any that have bad pitting.
is this the same hulmie that I sold some BBS RC to fit a white 20vt?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts