VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, just a quick one.

Wanna do a brake fluid change and oil change in the next couple of weeks.
I have about 7 litres of castrol magnatec 5w30 in the garage which conforms to VW 501/505 specs. Would this be ok to use?
Also am I right in thinking that the brake fluid is just standard dot 4 that most manufacturers use, if so then I can plenty of this for nowt at work? Cheers. :)

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
Oil for the R32 should be anything that says VW 504.00 / VW 507.00 on the bottle.

Typically the following oils have this spec
Mobil 1 5w-30 (ESP)
Castrol Edge VW 5w-30 (both these oils are available from Halfords)
VW Synta Gold Longlife3

If u look on Opie oils website, you'll see a full list of VW 504/507 oils.

It's not about the brand, its all about the VW rating - VW504.00 VW507.00

If you oil doesn't have this on the label - DON'T USE IT IN THE R32.

The original factory oil was Castrol SLX2, which was to spec VW 503.01 VW506.00,
but this was superceeded with VW504.00 VW507.00.
If u can find an oil with 503.01/506, this will be also good to use too
Dot4 is cool

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Surely 5w30 fully synthetic is all the same stuff. Just castrol want people to buy there new so called "high tech" edge oil. I bet magnatec is just as good?

·
19,389 Posts
As above, I wouldn't use that oil in an R32. It's for use in older cars.

You can safely use an oil that meets VW502.00 as long as you change it at least every 12 months or 10k miles however a longlife oil that meets VW504.00 is recommended.

·
19,389 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the magnatec 5w30 is recommended for civic type r ep3 and I originally bought it to do an oil change on our 07 hawkeye impreza sti. These days modern diesels and petrols use the same stuff I believe, or maybe that's just Hondas.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe we use the castrol edge on 1.2,1.4 and 1.8 petrols as well as the 1.6 and 2.2 diesels we build. Maybe I can get 6 or so litres from work.

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
I believe we use the castrol edge on 1.2,1.4 and 1.8 petrols as well as the 1.6 and 2.2 diesels we build. Maybe I can get 6 or so litres from work.
Its not dear stuff really. I know on my EP3 it was an £8-0 oil change then the 2nd was £60

·
19,389 Posts
Obviously, it's your car and you can use what oil you like in it.

All I'm saying is that it doesn't meet the VW specs, that were recommended for the R32 and even if I got 7 litres for nothing I wouldn't use it in my car.

You can pick up 4 litres of Castrol Edge from Asda for just over £30, IIRC. Costco sometimes has it for less than £30.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
People moan about the price of petrol and diesel these days but if you think what some people charge for 4 litres of engine oil or the price of booze etc petrol is quite reasonable if you look at it like that.

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
People moan about the price of petrol and diesel these days but if you think what some people charge for 4 litres of engine oil or the price of booze etc petrol is quite reasonable if you look at it like that.
Sell me the Tarox's and ill buy you a shed load of oil

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll swap em for the standard brakes. I'm not that impressed with them to be honest. Could probably do with the servo from a touareg or something to boost the power! Lol I'll see what they're like after a fluid change. Saying that I had a big set of stop tech brakes on another type r and they were wooden in terms of feel and braking force!

image-793708215.jpg

Attachments

·
2,204 Posts
Don't forget Shell Helix Ultra AVL 5W-30, which is also 504/507 approved. It's a really good oil. In fact, many dealers are now putting that on their display shelves instead of Quantum (rebranded Castrol, apparently) as they are fed up with being ripped off by Castrol.

Tbh I am also fed up of being ripped off by Castrol's bloody minded persistence in selling their oil in useless 4L containers. Very few cars use less than 5 litres these days. The last time a 4L tub was any good was in my MK1 GTI days, which took 3.5L.

Anyway, it's easy to think oil is just oil, but it isn't.

VW will have designed the engine around a specific 5W-30 from the outset. Everything is tied into emissions these days and even engine oils can affect that. For example, burning it can damage the cats. It's no coincidence a good R32 uses no oil between services, even thin stuff like 5W-30, because they designed the piston and valve stem clearances specifically for 5W-30.

Changing oils to a non 504/507 can change how the VVT works (tiny little oil gallery holes), how quickly the oil reaches the head from cold and how much is burned.

Every synthetic oil maker claims theirs is best, but the simple fact is VW put those claims to the test in tightly controlled lab tests. So if VW recommend a specific oil, then it's the best the engine can get and using anything else is a gamble.

VW aren't recommending oils for profiteering reasons if they have 4 or 5 different brands 504/507 oils on their list. It's just that they know their engines a damn site better than we do

·
624 Posts
Don't forget Shell Helix Ultra AVL 5W-30, which is also 504/507 approved. It's a really good oil. In fact, many dealers are now putting that on their display shelves instead of Quantum (rebranded Castrol, apparently) as they are fed up with being ripped off by Castrol.
When I got my mk4 it had Shell Helix because it had service history and Helix is what VW use here already for years and years. I got really scared from this oil because it turned into some sort of milky crap on my dipstick...just like overdue milk. I changed to Castrol Edge and did my own servicing and have fine oil consistence after this. Have also heard from a tuning company locally here that they avoid Shell Helix. I don't know, but everything is about money these day's; maybe Castrol wasn't ripping off anyone - but offered quality oil, and Vw look for cheaper alternative that they can buy cheaper as dealer and get more in profit from when servicing peoples cars.

·
556 Posts
CorradoR32 said:

Tbh I am also fed up of being ripped off by Castrol's bloody minded persistence in selling their oil in useless 4L containers. Very few cars use less than 5 litres these days. The last time a 4L tub was any good was in my MK1 GTI days, which took 3.5L.

Anyway, it's easy to think oil is just oil, but it isn't.

VW will have designed the engine around a specific 5W-30 from the outset. Everything is tied into emissions these days and even engine oils can affect that. For example, burning it can damage the cats. It's no coincidence a good R32 uses no oil between services, even thin stuff like 5W-30, because they designed the piston and valve stem clearances specifically for 5W-30.

Changing oils to a non 504/507 can change how the VVT works (tiny little oil gallery holes), how quickly the oil reaches the head from cold and how much is burned.

Every synthetic oil maker claims theirs is best, but the simple fact is VW put those claims to the test in tightly controlled lab tests. So if VW recommend a specific oil, then it's the best the engine can get and using anything else is a gamble.

VW aren't recommending oils for profiteering reasons if they have 4 or 5 different brands 504/507 oils on their list. It's just that they know their engines a damn site better than we do
Very well put buddy...
Here's a link for a little more insight to grades of oil viscosity's...
http://www.upmpg.com/tech_articles/motoroil_viscosity/

·
556 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts