VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
VW are £400 a pair.
EBC are £200 a pair.

What is the downside? Saving £200 is always a plus but are they considerably down on quality? Do they overheat compared with OE?

If I were to change I would most likely avoid the drilled and grooved option just in increase pad life and dust production.

I'm sure there are many threads related to this topic however I would just like to hear from those who have switched from OE to the EBC's and what their opinions are. Thanks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've got and had Ultimax discs on my car and my previous car, can't rate them highly enough. Although both times i coupled them with ebc pads, found they worked really well hence when i went with them again

·
Registered
135 Posts
Not got them on my R but iI had them all round on my 300 bhp astra vxr and they were fine ! No trouble atall!

·
4,420 Posts
i have ebc turbo groove discs and redstuff pads all round, mine are the drilled and grooved versions, they brake well, no fade so far, hardly any dust at all, id say they are good for what i use the car for

nothing beats oem however, they are floating discs rather than one solid piece which helps a lot if you give it some

the only downside to mine are that they make more noise when the window is down, due to the drilled and grooved parts, not sure if thats normal or just me, but they are noisier

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
That's normal for drilled and grooved they make a racket! Try having 4 drilled and grooved discs

·
South East Organiser
6,824 Posts
I have ultimax discs and red stuff pads atm. They seem ok for road and fast road. Ive given them a spanking and they havent warped.
As said they are noisy when hammering them on.

Also as said oem floatin 2 piece are a better disc. When replacing ill use oem disc and some sort of upgarded pad

Sent from my blower by a cat

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so a viable option then, I've been looking at them and their seems to be a few models within the EBC range: Standard un grooved, turbo grooved and drilled, high carbon grooved and ultimax.

I can only find ultimax for the rears on eBay though? I know it's not the only place to buy but it usually has a wide range to get idea of price.

The high carbon ones are dearest and as with most things in life you get what you pay for. Does anyone use those? They look quite funky and have an apparent improved groove pattern?

Thanks for your thoughts. I find its always useful to get others opinions especially those with first hand experience.

·
South East Organiser
6,824 Posts
Ok so a viable option then, I've been looking at them and their seems to be a few models within the EBC range: Standard un grooved, turbo grooved and drilled, high carbon grooved and ultimax.

I can only find ultimax for the rears on eBay though? I know it's not the only place to buy but it usually has a wide range to get idea of price.

The high carbon ones are dearest and as with most things in life you get what you pay for. Does anyone use those? They look quite funky and have an apparent improved groove pattern?

Thanks for your thoughts. I find its always useful to get others opinions especially those with first hand experience.
I got mine from Euro Car Parts

Sent from my blower by a cat

·
Administrator
3,142 Posts
Just a bit of friendly advice

1 x EBC at £200 a pair.
1 x VW at £400 a pair in a couple of months when the EBC's are shot.

Total cost of replacement
£600

There's a way to save yourself £200 above, trust me I've been there.

·
Eats Kitty Litter
7,307 Posts
All depends how you drive your car. If you doddle about town etc then EBC,Mtec or any other cheap Chinese's made disc will do. If you drive the car hard and/or have lots of power your realize EBC stuff etc are not that good and will crack,warp and wear out quickly. Cheap drilled discs will crack for a past time if used hard.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Just a bit of friendly advice

1 x EBC at £200 a pair.
1 x VW at £400 a pair in a couple of months when the EBC's are shot.

Total cost of replacement
£600

There's a way to save yourself £200 above, trust me I've been there.
At my local dealer front discs for the mk4 are £267 for 1 disc as they sell them separate .

·
2,204 Posts
You're not getting discount then. Discount on service items can vary from 5 - 20%. It's discretionary. Some dealers give you max discount, some don't. Regular frequenters of the parts department tend to build up better relationships than the casual pollen filter buyer.

Agree with Lucifer. VW spec'd the brakes for the kind of driving it's likely to see, but if it's a shopping car, then what he says.

Being cheap with servicing might put you at a disadvantage when you come to sell it. People who are willing to pay asking price for a good car will notice areas that have been skimped on.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Well owning 5 vw's in our house hold were well known there so I wouldn't call myself a casual pollen filter buyer .

·
19,389 Posts
ECP can supply 2 piece floating discs for the MK4. I'm sure they were £200ea. RRP and £150ea after the foum discount.

Certainly worth a look if that's a route you decide to go down.

Also worth speaking to your local TPS.

·
2,204 Posts
Josh, try and push for more discount :) £267 sounds too high to me, so must be the full retail before discount. Unless VW have had another price hike. I know the MK4 front dampers have increased from £150 each to £250ish now.

Are the front discs actually 'floating' or do they just have an alloy bell to save weight? True 'floating' discs have sideways slack to to aid caliper self centering, which removes the dead feel from the top of the pedal. You normally any get full floaters on bikes and Supercars with fixed piston calipers. Sliding calipers, as fitted to the R, don't need 'floating' discs.

·
Administrator
3,142 Posts
At my local dealer front discs for the mk4 are £267 for 1 disc as they sell them separate .
I was only quoting the prices the OP gave.

From experience I wouldn't go anywhere near the EBC's as I'm not a racer and I used my car daily and they lasted 3 months max.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That settles it then, genuine it is. Saving £100 or so initially sounds helpful but needing replacement that soon is a joke and a no go area by the sounds of it. What now concerns me more is pad price, vw are silly money, I know they are larger than most other pads commonly seen on run of the millroad cars but what on earth can justify 10 fold pricing?

·
2,303 Posts
I'm running EBC discs all round with mintex pads and brake absolutely fine I tend to use my gears more for slowing down though so don't do much braking lol

·
4,420 Posts
That's normal for drilled and grooved they make a racket! Try having 4 drilled and grooved discs
I do have 4 drilled and grooved lol

·
4,420 Posts
You're not getting discount then. Discount on service items can vary from 5 - 20%. It's discretionary. Some dealers give you max discount, some don't. Regular frequenters of the parts department tend to build up better relationships than the casual pollen filter buyer.

Agree with Lucifer. VW spec'd the brakes for the kind of driving it's likely to see, but if it's a shopping car, then what he says.

Being cheap with servicing might put you at a disadvantage when you come to sell it. People who are willing to pay asking price for a good car will notice areas that have been skimped on.
Partially true, i was a regular at my parts department, and i mean regular, ranging from 2-5 times a week! they always gave me maximum discount available as i have a trade account, but the discount available depends on how many they sell of said item

for example, engine oil, 20% discount, they sell a shed load of it

r32 front bumper, 5% discount... nobody buys them

I would imagine they would only be able to give 5% discount on brake discs as they aren't standard golf and are a special order part

1 - 20 of 20 Posts