VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
.:R32OC Parking Attendant
4,025 Posts
Saw this the other day outside our local post office pickup...

Been doing a bit of reading as to why red is always more susceptible to fading in the sun. The answer? It just is.
Well, I don't want to bore you with physics and light absorption (http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/nov98/912228411.Ch.r.html) + painting techniques - I nearly fell asleep myself!

As much as I appreciate a nice red car, knowing that I'd have to take extra attention to polish and look after the paint to stop this happening puts me off (or keep it in a garage).

·
263 Posts
I've had red cars and they never gone like that there actually a great colour to own as you always want to polish them because when there shiny the shine so bright.
Tbh anyone slightly into cars will clean it well enough for red not to fade and it's not the paint it's the lacquer that makes the red look faded and cloudy.
Red for the average family is a bad colour to own as they won't clean it properly, I've brought back plenty of 'pink' cars back to red over they years.

Reactions: Beehive

·
Administrator
3,142 Posts
I've had a red car, never again. Always having to park it in the shade to stop fading. I've heard that it isn't really a problem anymore as they use oil based paints instead of water, or the other way round. Not sure if this is correct though.

I once had a new rear bumper on mine and the colour difference between fresh and faded was obvious.

·
579 Posts
I've owned 2 red cars and I've never had any go pink I think if u never washed it for 6 months at a time and never waxed or polished it ever it would maybe go pink but I've never seen a mk 5 in red pink yet I always thought that it was just coloured gloss paint as in no clear coat that was effected from this

·
19,404 Posts
I've also owned a couple of red cars and not had any issues with fading. It may have been the dirt protecting them from UV light though as I prever to drive them than wash them.

·
3,611 Posts
My first car was Mars red Mk2 Golf Ryder, it never went pink always washed wax and sealed.

Then I sold it to my mate, saw it a year after I sold it to him and the bonnet looked like the pink stuff you take for stomach complaints !!!

·
2,803 Posts
Lets not forget all the yellow cars that are turning white!

·
468 Posts
I've had loads of red cars and never had a problem, defo red is my favourite as you can see.
When the are all waxed up there's nothing beats the look of a red car!!

·
361 Posts
Have to agree red shines up and looks great

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.