VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what with the christmas telly only round the corner i am in the mood to spruce up the noise in the lounge. its the only thing missing, needs to work with xbox sky and plasma

any recommendations?

·
1,432 Posts
There is an xbox specific surround sound system, how much have you got to spend as I could recommend some Bang & Olufsen kit :)

·
1,432 Posts

·
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my budget depends on how much i can spend without the mrs objecting :D

primarily i want sky to be surround, but i use the xbox to play dvd's so an xbox specific wouldnt do that?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've read really good reviews of Onkyo kit. Get an AV receiver and some speakers. My mate went to Richer Sounds for his kit, managed to haggle quite a discount out of them aswell.

·
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so is this something i have to buy as seperates or can you get an 'argos solution' type box full? you can tell i breath cars not electrical appliances

·
1,432 Posts
Are you looking for home cinema only ie just 5.1 surround sound or a home theatre kit which is effectively a bunch of speakers based around a DVD player?

·
1,432 Posts
Viera, thats Panasonic isnt it so would be good to stick with the same brand or are you not fussed?

·
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
er.....

i thought home cinema and surround were pretty much the same thing? obviously not then. basically if i watch something like...say...starwars on dvd i want to hear the tie fighters circling round behind me, if i play halo3 i want to hear the enemy creeping up behind me and if i watch sky i want to hear the full atmospherics of being inside the movie so to speak

so what do i need

·
1,432 Posts
Sure VC, I get that you want surround sound but there are two options:

1) you can get a system which is just speakers with a base unit to control them from or;

2) a DVD player with speakers

So, do you have a DVD player already in which case you just need option 1 or do you require a DVD player with speakers too in which case you want option 2 :)

·
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
being honest i dont watch alot of dvds as i have all the movie channels plus laptop downloads etc. when i do want to watch one i use the xbox.

so if i got the cinema option - dvd player with speakers - is that something i could plumb the xbox into or would it have to all plug into the tv?

some of the systems in the argos catalogue are speakers with a control unit the size of a dvd player into which you send in wires from periferals such as tv/dvd and consols

·
1,432 Posts
I think one of the systems detailed in this thread over on AVForums might be your best bet as they are also Panasonic so they support the TV well etc. I imagine you currently have audio from the xbox into the TV tuner box or TV itself (not sure on your TV if you have a separate tuner box or its an all in one tv). You will then connect an audio-out cable from the TV into the surround sound system so that anything you watch on the TV can be played through the surround sound speakers.

Panosonics NEW All In Ones SC-PT850/ SC-PT550/SC-PT350W - AVForums.com

·
1,432 Posts
Yeah, an all in one system you saw in the Argos catalogue will be just the ticket as they are much cheaper than a designated audio only system. It will be a DVD player so its there if you wanted to use it at some point in the future and they are cost effective and it means you get that great Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound youre after :)

·
1,432 Posts
There are a few systems here on the Argos website but in this case you get what you pay for, the £29.99 system although it may seem like great VFM, only has 55 watts RMS output. Not the best option there.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Brows...0006565>C$cip=1500006592>C$cip=1500006597.htm

This Sony product would be great and has a total ouput of 1000 watts, ideal for your gameplay and tv watching etc and it doesnt have that DVD player which you say you wouldnt use anyway but it comes at a price.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...ip=1500006597.Home+cinema+speaker+systems.htm

G

·
It also depends on whether you want to want to trail speaker cable to the rear speaker's which you will for true Dolby 5.1.

however if you fancy Dolby 2.1 which doesn't have rear speakers but it projects the sound to appear that it does. I am going to get this next week. Its on offer in Costco for £211. Does the job very well :151:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.