VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
halfrauds are knocking out the road angel plus for £199.99 (£50 off) at the moment and i'm tempted, i dont want a jammer and my satnav shows me the fixed locations etc so want something to show me the cars and mobile ones

anyone have one/use one? how do you rate it? worth the money? is road angel the better make?

opinions please :stupido:

·
267 Posts
looked into it cherry,

tbh , waste of time . by the time the system has picked up the "spray" from the laser and warned you it's too late .

jammer is only sure deal .

if you speak to some of the more honest detector dealers they will tell you the same .

sounds good but it won't save your licence ........ I only wish they worked ......

·
4,328 Posts
As said mate they dont really work. I have the micro go with the laser detector on it. I also have the laser park pro. When i was going down the a30 a few months ago a bit fast, the laser park pro worked but the micro go didnt do anything :( :( :( i know what i would splash the cash on.

·
4,328 Posts
It is the only one that is legal in that there is no law saying you cant have a parking sensor otherwise loads of other cars would be really really stuck. The unit works as a parking sensor and works so i cant see how the police would be able to do anything about it.

I have been stopped when i had it. I was traveling along, at a nice speed :), when the unit went off. I immediately slowed down to a suitable speed. I was then sloowed by the police car and pulled over into a parking bay on the a30. The officer came over and said it looked like i was traveling way over the limit but was very lucky as his camera decided to malfunction at the same time he tried to get my speed. I said that was a shame as he would of only seen me traveling at the national limit, gave him a big grin and went off on my way.

·
4,328 Posts
Yeah it basically blocks the signal for 5 or 8 seconds (sorry cant remember) and gives a audio and visual signal, and then lets them take a signal.

So basically it gives the police a signal just like they would get if the lazer is being reflected off another surface, ie the road or another car. So they could basically think this is happening, and then they get your speed when hopefully you have slowed down.

·
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so although its not technically legal its passable then? so hows it installed/fitted etc. i'm guessing its not a plug-and-play bit of kit

·
4,328 Posts
No it does need a tiny bit of wiring but is pretty easy really, well i managed it :) :) :)

Well it is legal as it does work as intended, the law only basically says that its against the law where the purpose of the unit is to block the police cameras (ie perverting the course of justice) or where the unit does not work as intended (ie is a garage door opener when you dont have a garage).

So the unit is legal in that unless the police say that all units arnt allowed to use the specific laser wavelength (or whatever it is) which they would never do as there are so many units at very similar singal levels ie remote controls etc etc and it would cost the country so much. I suppose they could try and say you are try to pervert the course of justice but it would never jold up in court in that they cant say you you dont use the unit to park. So basically its legal.

·
.:R32OC Resident Pervert
7,935 Posts
pomme said:
As said mate they dont really work. I have the micro go with the laser detector on it. I also have the laser park pro. When i was going down the a30 a few months ago a bit fast, the laser park pro worked but the micro go didnt do anything :( :( :( i know what i would splash the cash on.
Well I have the Road Pilot Micro,With front and rear laser detector ,Works fine but will not pick up the mobile camera vans.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've had a Road Angel plus for about 18 months. In general the device is OK, but does have a few failings which may be common with other pieces of kit.

It does tend to give spurious readings and alerts. Tiff Needell shouting 'LASER LASER' gets your attention, worse when there is nothing obvious causing it. It needs updating regularly, I've experienced quite a few problems syncing and updating, needed my lads IT skills to remedy it. The other issue is the monthly subscription, for 6 months there was no charge, now I pay £3.99 PM. When I was driving as part of my job that was OK, now I don't I'm questioning the need for using it and was even considering putting it up for sale.

The speed readings are accurate but I think it makes you paranoid about you speed. Still if you need to keep a cleanish licence, I guess they work, but they take the fun out of driving though.

·
1,222 Posts
or save yourself loads of money and drive to the speed limit ! :alberteinstein::sheep: because I always drive to the speed limit :angel:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts