VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone drove into the side of my partner's Chrysler Crossfire and we've just had the quote for the repairs.

Does anyone know the parameters for deciding whether the car is beyond economical repair and therefore a write it off?

I've checked Parkers Guide and they, obviously, give different valuations based on condition...which price would the insurance company consider?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
1,064 Posts
You don't have to except bottom book price though
Plus as he is the third party they can't just write it off just like that
As they can when it's your own insurance company

And if it is just to bad to be fixed and they do write it off most of the time they give you a rubbish offer first
Look on auto trader for 3 cars the same spec miles and condition
Get a average price

As this is what they do but they just look for the cheapest 3

What ever you do don't let them fob you off
Keep on at them if you have to

They are very good at trying scraping the cars before they have played out
Tried to do that with mine

·
2,303 Posts
I'm pretty sure it'll be a write off but depends how hard the impact was, thing is cars aren't really made strong from the side, if its just the panels that are damaged then reskinning is a good 20 - 40 hours work easily and prepping and painting is another 10 hours so its gonna be quite a cost and the insurance company might just find it cheaper to write off the car and pay out rather than paying for repairs Ive seen a lot of cars and bans come into my workplace and have been repaired quite easily some need to be sent away for jig work and new parts fitted but most of them are head on smashes and back end shunts, these are made strongest due to most crashes being like that

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone.

We're ok, thanks...a 4x4 decided to pull out from a parking space at the kerb...apparently we were in his blind spot! Thankfully though relatively low impact but still about £2,900 worth of repairs.

He offered to pay for the repairs and avoid a claim on his insurance but I think he underestimated how much the repair bill would be!

·
3,392 Posts
You can choose where your car is repaired, you dont have to put it into where the insurance company want it to go

·
3,242 Posts
Beckylicious said:
Thanks everyone.

We're ok, thanks...a 4x4 decided to pull out from a parking space at the kerb...apparently we were in his blind spot! Thankfully though relatively low impact but still about £2,900 worth of repairs.

He offered to pay for the repairs and avoid a claim on his insurance but I think he underestimated how much the repair bill would be!

Not read the fully story
But say ok,
I will only get the car dun at particular places.
He/She can come along when i go to get a car damaged priced at my prefferd place.
And he/she will have detailed invoice given if requested.

Regards
Vrt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts