VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright all,as some of you may be aware my R is having door replaced under warranty,have just had body work shop on the dog and bone and he tells me that the window regulator is showing signs of wear and this is a common problem with mk4s,has quoted me £95 smackers + vat for it plus fitting,have said will think about it,
does anybody know if this is a good price?they have said can do repair around edge of seal so will be ok for a bit,(the seal is the only bit that they say shows signs of wear)thanks,****.

·
5,496 Posts
Window regulator - i thought that was the name of the mechanism which moves the glass up and down? Not sure what they mean about the seal.

On mk4's the window regulator is known to fail because the clips are made of plastic, and what happens is the plastic snaps/cracks, and the glass immediately drops into the bottom of the door, leaving u with no window and no way of bringing the window back up.

On later mk4's, R32 included, the window regulator has already been upgraded to the metal type (no more plastic crap), so mk4 R32's don't suffer from broken window regulator clips.

So I have absolutely no idea what the body shop is saying to u about seals and shit.

I'd ask them for better clarification to be honest first

·
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Window regulator - i thought that was the name of the mechanism which moves the glass up and down? Not sure what they mean about the seal.

On mk4's the window regulator is known to fail because the clips are made of plastic, and what happens is the plastic snaps/cracks, and the glass immediately drops into the bottom of the door, leaving u with no window and no way of bringing the window back up.

On later mk4's, R32 included, the window regulator has already been upgraded to the metal type (no more plastic crap), so mk4 R32's don't suffer from broken window regulator clips.

So I have absolutely no idea what the body shop is saying to u about seals and shit.

I'd ask them for better clarification to be honest first
Thanks gti fly
,will check tomorrow with them what the problem was,mabye clip has broken whilst being removed from old door and been put into new door......

·
4,134 Posts
****, the window regulator is bolted to a big metal panel, this seals to the inner door skin. This is the only seal I know of related to the window regulator, it is only like a silicon sealer type seal so easily repairable.

·
3,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
****, the window regulator is bolted to a big metal panel, this seals to the inner door skin. This is the only seal I know of related to the window regulator, it is only like a silicon sealer type seal so easily repairable.
Cheers Steff,will get right info of them tomorrow.....mabye i misheard what he was actually saying as was painting at the time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts