VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have managed to pick up a nice 8 inch crack (and growing) in my windscreen this morning. I called my insurance windscreen claim line and was then told that it would be 2 weeks before they could get out to me. I think this is due purely to manpower rather than stock issues and they are based about 40 miles away.

I said that I didn't really think that was an acceptable time to wait and called the customer services number only to be told that I have to use them, otherwise they will not honour the claim! I think this is bullcr*p, but I am now waiting for a call back from a manager...

I spoke to another large windscreen supplier (who say on their website that they are approved by the same insurer) and they tell me they can get the screen in next day and have a local branch that I can be at in 5 minutes. They also say that they can invoice the insurer directly... I would therefore like to go with them, but don't really need the grief of the insurance not paying up (more than happy to pay my £75 excess of course...).

Am I being unreasonable here?! Anyone else has similar issues?

Cheers.

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
I have managed to pick up a nice 8 inch crack (and growing) in my windscreen this morning. I called my insurance windscreen claim line and was then told that it would be 2 weeks before they could get out to me. I think this is due purely to manpower rather than stock issues and they are based about 40 miles away.

I said that I didn't really think that was an acceptable time to wait and called the customer services number only to be told that I have to use them, otherwise they will not honour the claim! I think this is bullcr*p, but I am now waiting for a call back from a manager...

I spoke to another large windscreen supplier (who say on their website that they are approved by the same insurer) and they tell me they can get the screen in next day and have a local branch that I can be at in 5 minutes. They also say that they can invoice the insurer directly... I would therefore like to go with them, but don't really need the grief of the insurance not paying up (more than happy to pay my £75 excess of course...).

Cheers.
I always phone Autoglass and book through them. Of course your insurer will tell you to wait, its not a cheap item

·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just spoke to Autoglass. They said they can do it, but it sounds like my insurer are trying to make it difficult for them.

They have said that they will do it at a reduced rate, but I will need to pay the £50 difference between their bill (£125) and my excess (£75) and then claim that back from my insurer. I can't see them wanting to play ball though...

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
Just spoke to Autoglass. They said they can do it, but it sounds like my insurer are trying to make it difficult for them.

They have said that they will do it at a reduced rate, but I will need to pay the £50 difference between their bill (£125) and my excess (£75) and then claim that back from my insurer. I can't see them wanting to play ball though...
Bellends! Maybe worth waiting the 2 weeks then? Maybe even offer to go to a different depot and see what shit they give you then?

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Terrible. Name and shame the insurance company mate so we know who to avoid in the future.

·
Senior Citizen
2,624 Posts
And don't forget it's a blue tint screen, they have to get it from Vw. They only normally carry a couple in the country, they will tell you that they fit generic screens and will probably try and fob you off with a brown or green one. By law they have to supply a genuine screen but you HAVE to ask for it. Anything else is bollox

·
Registered
977 Posts

Cheers.
That's poor....

I've had 2 glass claims in 4/5 months, each time within 24 hours I've been sorted

Elephant always said I could use whoever and charge back to them if I wanted to sort from a specific company and I thought that was same for all

Best using someone you trust cos some of the guys are cowboys

·
Registered
977 Posts
And don't forget it's a blue tint screen, they have to get it from Vw. They only normally carry a couple in the country, they will tell you that they fit generic screens and will probably try and fob you off with a brown or green one. By law they have to supply a genuine screen but you HAVE to ask for it. Anything else is bollox
Yeah there's 2 companies that I've been told provide the screens you want, one was pilkington and the other was saint-gobain

·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The insurer is Admiral and they use Auto Windscreens as their "approved supplier". I have found Admiral OK to deal with in the past and their multicar option was handy for me in the past... I've never had to claim though... I guess that is what separates the men from the boys....

All they have to say to me is, "ok, our suppliers are very busy, but you could use either National (so far the easiest to deal with when I called) or Autoglass (bit confused, had 3 calls back asking the same things!)", but they seem to want to play silly buggers.

It is a crack on the drivers side too, luckily the screen is not "bullseyed", but I don't want it to get worse.

No call back from a manager yet, but will keep you updated...

·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, cheers for the info. National Windscreens guy was helpful and said that they have one blue one with rain sensor space in their central warehouse.

·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's poor....

I've had 2 glass claims in 4/5 months, each time within 24 hours I've been sorted

Elephant always said I could use whoever and charge back to them if I wanted to sort from a specific company and I thought that was same for all

Best using someone you trust cos some of the guys are cowboys
That is odd, as I am sure Elephant and Admiral are one and the same company (EUI)! i would rather take the car to a depot to get it done as have had bad experiences with some of the mobile fitters in the past. I guess it is all down to who you get on the day...

·
4,134 Posts
I had dramas with mine just before Christmas last year, called the insurance and the said it would be done within a couple of days. Had a phone call from the window fitters saying it would be a week and a half.
Waited in the whole day for them to arrive on said day, got to 2 in the avo and called them only to be told coz they couldn't get hold of me on the phone they went to another job miles away.
Was then told I'd have to wait until the new year. The same happened again on the day they were coming.
I gave up in the end and now my car is in Canada with me still with a cracked screen.
My opinion of glass cover now is you might aswell not bother with the cover and just take it on risk and sort it yourself if it comes to it.

·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, it gets weirder... Just called the Admiral glass line again and thought I would see who I got through to, as it seems that they do have more than one approved repairer. This time I got through to National Windscreens not Auto! Gave them my details again and getting it done Friday AM!

Why the customer services guy I spoke to at Admiral made such a fuss about it, I have no idea! Will still be making a complaint as it has cost me a fair bit of time and completely unnecessary stress, messing around with calls to them for something that could have been resolved very easily.

Hopefully the fitting will go to plan now :/ !

·
Registered
977 Posts
Ok, it gets weirder... Just called the Admiral glass line again and thought I would see who I got through to, as it seems that they do have more than one approved repairer. This time I got through to National Windscreens not Auto! Gave them my details again and getting it done Friday AM!

Why the customer services guy I spoke to at Admiral made such a fuss about it, I have no idea! Will still be making a complaint as it has cost me a fair bit of time and completely unnecessary stress, messing around with calls to them for something that could have been resolved very easily.

Hopefully the fitting will go to plan now :/ !
Madness.....I got auto windscreens first time then national second time..... Same guy though funnily enough as he'd moved companies... the guys must work regions

·
2,665 Posts
I had two windscreens in 6 months via hastings and it was pretty much next day service waiting for auto windscreens. Dont undertand the delay. Its also a safety issue and illegal to drive im guessing.

Very poor service unless it was a parts issue or similar.

·
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
New screen all fitted today and all seems good so far. Excellent service from National Windscreens. The guy fitting it seemed to know his stuff and didn't seem to mind me standing there watching him do it and asking him questions. He said he had done screens on a few Porsches and a couple of Ferrari's and also a Ford GT40 which he reckoned was worth a million quid, so I guess a lowly Golf didn't phase him too much...!

·
South East Organiser
6,824 Posts
Insurance companies trying to make you think its an expensive job for them.....they pay sod all.This is the reason why they want you to take to certain places....oh they will put the premium up next year too....

I asked mine coupe years ago. as they put 3 price excesses on the policy. turns out it was 90 quid.
I said to them 'I assume I'm getting a blue tinted genuine screen' they said no it will be a copy. so i replied 'that isn't acceptable'

Well they refused to pay for a genuine screen. my friend Roy had his R32 done the screen was different. They went on to say if i want a genuine screen i have to pay for it my self and get it fitted then send them a bill, and i have to pay a £150 excess!! and of course they will sit on refunding money as long as possible.. They also said a VW main dealer isn't an Authorized repairer...Hmm kind of in a way the people who build the car arent authorized to fix it.......

In the end i went to VW just bought a new screen and got a local guy to fit it. all in for 195 quid...so only would save 45 quid.....then given it back to the insurance of renewal for raised premium.......The local guy also has fixed several screens in m4 golfs what were fitted by auto glass because they leaked.....So yer just my input....

anyway that screen is now cracked too. so the genuine replacement is sat in my lounge from VW for 167 quid......

1 - 18 of 18 Posts