VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I wonder if anyone can suggest anything for a new problem I've just started to get - it's my front windscreen wipers.

I changed the blades a few weeks ago and all worked okay, however about a week ago I accidentally knocked the wiper stalk and they slowly creeped up to half way and then stopped... about about 20 seconds of playing with the stalk it went back down... used some windscreen washer and it seemed okay

Today when it's pouring with rain they have pretty much given up... they only work on intermittent setting (next notch up they don't work) and each time it goes up it looks like it's really struggling and doesn't quite reach the top then goes down but about one in three times it just gets half way and stops then 20 seconds later it goes down and tries again.

Obviously I need to have a look under the bonnet when it stops raining but in the mean time does anyone have any ideas? I can see lots of reports of them stopping working but for me it's different as they do work but don't seem to have the power to get up the windscreen
I'm assuming it's the motor but if anyone could let me know if they agree it would be much appreciated.

Getting pretty hacked off with the car recently

·
1,435 Posts
It sounds like when you accidentally hit the stalk that the wipers went to the "Service" position which is normal.
Could the other problems be caused by the wiper motor not being properly earthed - check that the earthing is properly tight and clean and tighten if possible. Ensure all wiring to motor is sound - seems to be a power loss problem.

·
719 Posts
It sounds like when you accidentally hit the stalk that the wipers went to the "Service" position which is normal.
Could the other problems be caused by the wiper motor not being properly earthed - check that the earthing is properly tight and clean and tighten if possible. Ensure all wiring to motor is sound - seems to be a power loss problem.
Thanks for this, sorry there is one thing I didn't make clear... when I say it got stuck, it's not in the service position, it's more like diagonal so half way up but it's different everytime... but it's the way it gets there, it judders slowly then seems to give up sometimes.

I would expect one of of two things, either works or stops but in this case it just seems to not have the torque it needs to move the wipers fully. It was actually funny to watch as the blades went up so slowly, could almost imagine a family guy cutaway of old people trying to manually push the wipers lol

Will check all the wiring but with the lack of power rather than no power I can't see that's the problem, maybe the motor is on its way out?

·
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just been and checked again, they still moved very slowly but didn't stop... opened the bonnet just to make sure nothing obvious, anyway, closed it again and checked the wipers and they are moving slightly better again
still not getting 100% to the top but better, oh well will have to monitor this one, maybe the bonnet just wasn't shut correctly since it's service.

·
19,389 Posts
IIRC, the wipers are disabled when the bonnet is open to prevent them accidentally being operated and hitting the bonnet, so I doubt the bonnet not being shut properly is tbe issue as they just would work plus you would get a bonnet open graphic, if you have highline.

Sounds to me as if something is fouling the mechanism or there is a bad connection limiting the current to the motor and thus the torque.

·
719 Posts
IIRC, the wipers are disabled when the bonnet is open to prevent them accidentally being operated and hitting the bonnet, so I doubt the bonnet not being shut properly is tbe issue as they just would work plus you would get a bonnet open graphic, if you have highline.

Sounds to me as if something is fouling the mechanism or there is a bad connection limiting the current to the motor and thus the torque.
I did try the wipers when the bonnet was open and yeah it did stop them but they definitely worked better after opening and closing the bonnet - guess I need to get the tools out and actually get to the linkage then and giving anything a good clean. Also connect up VCDS to check for any errors.

Thank you

·
19,389 Posts
I'm also pretty sure that if you switch the wipers on at either of the 2 constant speeds (2nd and 3rd position) the wipers stop when the car is stationary. My Rocco does this and I'm pretty sure my MK5 R32 did too but can't remember for definite. I thought i would say just incase you are testing with the car stationary.

·
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you. When I started my car later in the day it was all fine again and did work when parked up. I think you might be right with an earthing issue imo - time will tell, unless just slamming the bonnet closed knocked it back in to life... Here's hoping :)

·
719 Posts
This morning the linkage completely snapped - I assume this was a seized part then... got a replacement motor and linkage to fit this weekend.

So if you have this problem then get ready to replace it - £35 from ebay

·
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
replaced and all now working... there was faults in VCDS which I hadn't checked.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My front washers are not working and there no noise coming from motor, the rear wipers and washer jets are working, when I pull the stalk towards me I have nothing but wipers work in wiper mode, please any help would be greatful I'm getting frustrated

1 - 11 of 11 Posts