VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All ,

Since winter is looming and approaching fast and with this being my first winter in my R i have some questions.

Albeit the R is 4WD is there any real need for proper winter tyres, or would my very decent continental sport contact5 rubbers do , bearing in mind i live up in Aberdeenshire were it is notorious for bad winter storms and road closures sometimes.
I am of the thinking that with the additional weight of the HALDEX system on the car and being a heavier car may have its benefits in such conditions.

Any thoughts or experiences to share would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Here's a very informative guide for R32's and winter - hope it helps

Reactions: MIQ

·
Registered
852 Posts
Summer tyres grip coefficient drops off sharply below 8 degrees Celsius, mainly due to the rubber loosing its suppleness. So fitting winter tyres is without doubt advantageous.
I was in Finland a few years ago in the winter where temperatures were hitting minus 26 degrees Celsius. We were in a coach, fitted with winter tyres, and the driver hit the brakes sharply. I was thrown forwards in my seat in a similar way as I would have been if it had been warm and dry and the coach fitted with summer tyres. That single experience proved to me the benefit of using winter tyres when temperatures drop.

With regards to the car's weight, that will have precisely zero advantage if you hit ice. In fact, it'll be quite detrimental if you hit anything as you'll be carrying greater momentum than a GTI for example, in a similar situation. On snow it will be an advantage as will it if you have studded tyres fitted or use chains.

Incidentally, now seems to be the time to buy winter boots as I looked recently and a few brands were very reasonably priced.

Paul

·
532 Posts
I've always ran conti's for last 8 years on my mk5, and come snow or rain I've never had any issues. Saying that it's not the drive ability that's challenging it's the slips and slides you need be careful of. The all wheel drive does nothing for you when you take bend too quick (in snow/ice) conditions or when braking hard. I actually went into a slide once coming to a give way due to steep camber of the road, that's the weight of R for you

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
No contest. Winter tyres, even cheap ones are night and day different.

I've ran them last two years and live on a mad hill. Last year I bought Avon ice touring st and they are brilliant. Tested on the Rochdale road in big snow. Laughed at it.

Prior to that had Goodyear winters and they were pricy but also really good.

The car is AwD but it's totally different on slush and snow with winter tyres.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Are there a cheap set of wheels I could get for my mkV that I can run for winter (obviously with winter tyres on) easier to swap the whole wheel that the tyres I imagine.

What torque should the wheel nuts be tightened to by the way?

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
110nm for wheels mate.

You could find a cheap set of omanyts or any 5x112 you like.

Run winters from November to March. Makes your summer tyres last ages too. Winters are good for 3-4 years easy. Makes financial sense too especially if you buy from camskill using their finance facility. No upfront heavy cost, small monthly payment of a few pounds that just ticks away unnoticed.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
110nm for wheels mate.

You could find a cheap set of omanyts or any 5x112 you like.

Run winters from November to March. Makes your summer tyres last ages too. Winters are good for 3-4 years easy. Makes financial sense too especially if you buy from camskill using their finance facility. No upfront heavy cost, small monthly payment of a few pounds that just ticks away unnoticed.
Awesome idea, thanks bud.
What garage do you use by the way? Got a service coming up...

·
Sausage Fingers
3,713 Posts
I've had winter tyres for the past 3 years. After the first year on the R32 I bought a set for my gti and up, got some fitted to Mk7 R wheels today and the Tiguan ones are sat in the hallway waiting to be fitted at the end of the month.

I use Goodyear ultra grip 8

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
What do you guys think of these wheels?

http://m.wheelbasealloys.com/alloy-wheels/calibre/friction/black-blue/18-inch

Was thinking of getting these for summer wheels and then keeping the omanyts for winter. If someone has photoshop and wouldn't mind cropping these wheels onto a mkv on DBP id be grateful.

Are these the right tyres for the omanyts?
http://www.camskill.co.uk/m11b0s1316p129615/Continental_Tyres_Winter_Snow_Car_Continental_ContiWinterContact_TS850P_Continental_Conti_Winter_Contact_TS_850P_-_225_40_R18_92V_XL_FR_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_C_NoiseClass%3A_2_Noise%3A_72dB

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all informative as usual and the video is fantastic clear shots of the tyres used

Have just bought CONTINENTALS CONTI WINTER CONTACT TS850P that will do nicely they should last about 3 winters.

Thanks again.

Baz.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Thanks all informative as usual and the video is fantastic clear shots of the tyres used

Have just bought CONTINENTALS CONTI WINTER CONTACT TS850P that will do nicely they should last about 3 winters.

Thanks again.

Baz.
Glad the video was of assistance in your purchase. Happy wintering ????

·
19,450 Posts
I am thinking of doing the same, how are the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4?

Would I need to align (tracking) my wheels again or will it be a straight swap?

Cheers
Straight swap, changing wheels over has no impact on tracking / alignment.

Reactions: sumtingwong
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.