VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I tired to wire an led light to my euro style head light switch as wanted it to come on when I pull the switch one position as if I was turning on front fog lights. I assumed that because it is just a small led I wouldn't need a relay so i took the black wire to earth and then the red wire on the led to the 'nl' on the switch which I believe is the trigger for the fog lights position on the switch. However it doesn't work

I tested the wiring and when I run a current through the red wire the led works so I know that bits ok. However can anyone shine any help on how I get it to work through my euro switch??

Thanks

Grant

·
Flaccid Member
1,835 Posts
what car you talking about mate and what mk as theres an audi in the profile pic??

·
Flaccid Member
1,835 Posts
so just to be clear the mk4 r32 doesn't have front fogs?

but the euro switch does have a position for them which your trying to wire a 12v led to ?

what car is the switch usually fitted to cos i'm trying to look through the wiring diagrams and i can't find a mk4 golf with front fogs.

·
Flaccid Member
1,835 Posts
ok found it

here is your normal r32 switch

here is the euro switch

as you can see plug 17 pin 2 is the positive connection for the fogs so by putting your led on NL which you did should work fine, are you sure its making contact with the pin, have you put a repair wire in the plug to connect to the NL treminal?

·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To start with I just pushed the wire down the back of the switch and thought is would least make it flicker like a bad connection but nothing.

I was going to see if I could find the part number for a female terminal end repair wire and use that to make sure.

Does the light pick up a live through the switch? As looking at the wiring when people do fog lights they get a live feed to the relay from the battery.

Sorry I'm no electrician

Do you know the repair wire part number I need?

·
Flaccid Member
1,835 Posts
Don't worry about a relay, it defo should work in that terminal why don't push it down the rear fog terminal and see it working on that.

Also if you give me the part number of the switch I'll find the plug for it and then the part number for a proper wire

·
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Si I figured it out
. I did what you said I tapped into the rear fog cable and it didn't work so got the test light on it. Now here the key bit don't laugh but I realised I only turned the switch on not the ignition. So once the ignition was on I put the led cable into the front fog light pin and it worked

I have a friend giving me a repair wire tomorrow which he said is the right one, if it isn't is it ok if I give u the plug part number to get the right part number for the repair wire?

Thanks again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts