VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a R32 on Autotrader which ticks all of the right boxes spec and mileage wise. The only problem is, it's on a cat D. I am always automatically and perhaps irrationally put off by that. I am sure it will have been repaired adequately and that's something I could check with a RAC inspection. Therefore, am I wrong to dismiss these cars so readily?

·
Senior Citizen
2,625 Posts
most people will tell you no, to be honest I have just bought a GTD mk 6 for the missus and we couldnt find one we eventually did but there was a cat d we looked at but didnt go for for that reason, some poeple on here will most likely have cars that are insurance repaired, if you know the history and the money is right and you are totally happy then why not,

·
Registered
0 Posts
When i was looking for the right car i also dismiss it if it's cat D But thats me personally.

Each to their own, if your happy with it and inspections check out and as above the price is right then look furthur into it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Never would touch one personally, you know know who its been repaired by, the quality of the repair, or the state of the car before repair. Best to just go with one thats never had any recorded major accident.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
The other issue would be when you went to sell it. The general consensus here is to avoid so imagine that issue again when selling. You may have a real problem shifting it for decent money.

Sent from my ST18i using Tapatalk 2

·
300 Posts
I have owned loads of cat d&c cars and I would buy another no problem but all the ones I have owned I bought from copart or simlar and either repaired myself or had it repaired by a friend in the trade. Some of the best cars I have had have been from the salvage auction and I have owned cars for 2 years then sold for more than I bought them for I have never had any trouble selling a cat d car. As you may have seen what's happened to some of the members on here they had a mint car they cherished some one has crashed in to them and then insurance will send it to salvage auctions. The only problem with buying one that has allready been repaired is you don't know how good it's been repaired or how bad it was damaged and seller will always say it just had panel damage it has never seen a jig

·
Registered
36 Posts
I did and it was a good car civic type r. No problems with it .if they are happy enough to advertise that is cat d then they are being honest from the start
If I checked it myself and found that would be differant as they are hiding something.

My cat d car sold next day and for same money as if it not been damaged.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Mines stolen and recovered practically a week after it was first registered.. Didn't stop me goin for it you can't even tell anything has happened to it to be fair whoever repaired it did a real good job!

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
The issue with Cat D is insurance. It affects the insurers payout value. Not exactly sure but it's something to do with not paying out twice on a previous total loss.

In short, check with your insurer if it affects anything if you buy and insure a Cat D. They may limit the value of a claim to a low amount, ie much less than what you think it's worth.

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts
Cheeseboy said:
I always wondered about this. And I understand the resale value will be decreased.

Also, would it infect your insurance prenium perhaps?
I would have no issue in buying a catD. You get it cheaper to compensate for the fact it had/has a major selling flaw. IF all checks out then what is there to worry about, on the other hand I don't think a cat C would appeal to me.

I don't think there is any conditions on premium regarding a car that has been a total loss as James pointed out they won't pay out as much as a car that hasn't been crashed. I would imagine it would be the market value of a normal car - the 10-20% less a cat d is worth.

·
Registered
613 Posts
It also depends on why its classed as a cat D.. If its been smashed up and repaired then I think I'd steer clear but like I said with mine it was stolen and recovered but I can guarantee at least 30% of the motors on this site have been twoc'd due to what car it is and how much they were wanted

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts
Josh_R_32 said:
It also depends on why its classed as a cat D.. If its been smashed up and repaired then I think I'd steer clear but like I said with mine it was stolen and recovered but I can guarantee at least 30% of the motors on this site have been twoc'd due to what car it is and how much they were wanted
Don't think any cat D has been 'smashed up'

Keying a car could warrant a cat D write off

1 - 14 of 14 Posts