VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Blew my Xenon buld last night and just had a quote on the price of a bulb....£99.99p is that the norm??Its the left side and Ive been told theres alot of work to get the bulb fitted so thats more money. Anyone else had the same problem incurring the same costs, or is it just me!!!

·
2,808 Posts
Ive heard you have to take the front bumper off to fit new bulbs.

G

·
Rupo said:
Ive heard you have to take the front bumper off to fit new bulbs.
You can do the side lights without having to take bumper off - but not sure about Xenon.

Nice and cheap the bulb not!!!!

·
190 Posts
Sounds about right TBH, its very tight so it will be easier to remove the bumper, remove the headlight and replace the bulb out of the car

·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After the best part of an hour taking screws out of everywhere and partialy taking the bumper off the bulb was OK. Tried 3 different bulbs and none worked. Taken the car into VW to have further tests done. My mate reckons its a silver box that controls the light, apparently 12v power goes into the silver box and power gets pumped out at mega Volts to the light. Even tried the effin fuse box, top tip, try the fuse box first, would have been gutted if it were the fuse after all the fuss. Will keep you posted as to whats wrong with it. Nice bulbs by the way, no way worth £99.99.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Assuming your R32 is a mk4...

The bulb you need is D2S type.

Search ebay and you will see dozens for sale for a lot less than 100 quid!

And yes, in order to replace the bulbs, you need to pull the headlamps out about 6 inches or so to get enough clearance around the back. Since 2 of the headlamp retaining bolts are located behind the bumper, the bumper has to come off.

Removing the bumper actually isn't that hard. There's a guide somewhere, I'll see if I can find a link.

·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got it fixed at a cost of £365.00. It was the silver control unit that had blown, still fecking expensive though!!!

·
174 Posts
I had a similar problem to Dai this week and was dreading an equally ridiculous £365 bill. My offside Xenon wasn't lighting so I removed the bulb to check any obvious sign of it having blown (this is possible without removing the bumper -but it took around an hour as I had to slacken off the water bottle to get decent access). The bulb looked ok so I reassembled and booked it in at the Stealers for inspection. I completely forgot to check the fuse box until someone at work mentioned it. I pulled and checked both headlight fuses (20 & 21). Both were fine, but when I put them back in and retested the light worked!

Hopefully the control unit just needed a hard reset and it's not a more sinister intermittent fault. Either way this might have saved me a hefty bill, and to reiterate Dai, it's worth checking the fuse box first! :dancing2:

·
3,137 Posts
ouch, you could get a complete headlight for not much more than that

·
3,137 Posts
sp1boyo said:
dubster the light unit minus the bulb and pack is best part of £350......
Aye, I had to replace one of mine but forgot the bulb and ballast didn't come with it

·
174 Posts
Looks like I may have spoken too soon, started her up this morning and no offside xenon again. At least I know it's not the bulb (if that's a good thing?!). Dropped it off at the Stealers tonight, will keep you posted....

·
619 Posts
I ordered new box for my left headlight, the problem with it is that the headlight doesnt come on together with the right one from time to time. I have to switch them on/off couple of times before both of them lit up. Went to the dealers and I saw the technician running the soft on the car and the fault came on as igniter. Still waiting for it (ordered before Christmas,and funny enough it isnt coming from Deutschland but somewhere in Eire).:afraid::hmmmm2:

·
174 Posts
Just had a call from VW.... they've confirmed it is the control unit. Estimated final bill £345 inclusive of £94 labour charge and VAT. Ouch. Just what I need right after Christmas! :stoned:

·
.:R32OC Resident Pervert
7,935 Posts
Ouch, No warranty ?,
Have you looked on the internet for the control unit ?

·
174 Posts
No, bought the R32 private and it's a 53 plate so no warranty. Had a quick look on eBay but couldn't find a control unit, not without buying a whole new headlight fitting anyway -im presuming it's the silver bit on the back of the headlight they intend to replace.

·
619 Posts
Jesus!!!! Thats pricey. I'm gonna change it myself, I would only need to take the battery out. :D
I wouldnt buy second hand control unit, because it might have the same problem. As I said it only happens from time to time,so with those units on ebay it might work for a week and then do the disco. And at least you are gettin 1 year warranty buying from VW.

·
174 Posts
Picked her up last night. £80 labour, £211.24 for the part and £50.97 VAT. Total damage £342.21. Did manage to get VW to wash it for me though... although i'd expect them to at that price! If anyone else needs one in the future the part number for controller unit is 7M3907391.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts